Hum toh Ramu kaka banke reh gaye hain

Naina stepped out of the bathroom and looked in the direction of the bed. Natasha was in deep sleep. Without a sound, she tiptoed ahead and carefully pulled out a suitcase from under the bed, trying her best not to make any sound. Then she started to pull out some clothes from the cupboard and placed them in the suitcase. Once she was satisfied that whatever she needed was packed, Naina brought out a track suit and again entered the bathroom to get changed.

Natasha was still asleep when she came out after a few minutes. Murmuring a silent goodbye, she picked up the suitcase and sneaked out of the room. She had almost reached the main door when all of a sudden, the room lit up in the soft light of lamp. Naina froze on the spot, then slowly turned around, pushing the suitcase behind her legs.

Natasha stood with eyes reduced to thin slits, nostrils flaring and lips pressed hard.

'Uh... good morning Nutty.' Naina flashed a toothy smile.

Natasha's eyes drifted over her, taking in everything, from her appearance to the small suitcase she was trying to hide. Her voice was flat when she finally spoke, 'Puch sakti hun itni subah subah aap kahan jaa rahi hain?'

Twisting her fingers, Naina shrugged, appearing to be casual, 'Kahan jaungi... bas walk ke liye... jaldi uth gayi toh socha... morning walk kar leti hun.' With a wide smile, she added, 'Health ke liye achhi hoti hai... morning walk.'

Natasha wasn't amused. Giving her a stiff look, she pointed at the suitcase, 'Yeh leke? You think I'm a fool? Naina, tu fir se Rishikesh jaa rahi hai. Hai na?'

Rishikesh was the place where Naina and Natasha had once gone for a school trip. Naina had been mesmerised by its serene river banks, away from the town. While other students visited the temples and other holy sites, Naina found solace in the quietude offered at riverside, with no one around. Since then, she had developed a sense of belonging to the place. On two previous occasions, when she felt stifled by the complexities of life, she had silently taken refuge in the small town, to reconnect with herself and find solace amidst the tumultuous storms of life. Natasha was aware of her habit. But previously, she had gone from her father's house, where no one bothered to question her. Today, it was not so. She knew Natasha would not let her leave easily.

The smile faded from Naina's face as her shoulders slumped. With a defeated exhale, she whispered, 'Mujhse nahi ho raha Nutty. Mere paas aur koi solution nahi hai. Please mujhe jaane de. Koi puchega toh keh dena tujhe nahi pata, kehna main bina kuch kahe chali gayi. Main apna phone off rakhungi. Mujhe kisi se baat nahi karni.'

Natasha walked upto her and looked straight into her eyes, 'Nahi. Is baar tujhe nahi jaane dungi. Tu akeli nahi hai Naina. Main hu tere saath. Don't you know? Bhaagna koi solution nahi hai. Aaj tu chali bhi gayi toh wapas toh idhar hi aana hai. Tab kya jawab degi sabko? Sabko chor, tu khud ko samjha payegi ki tune jo kiya sahi kiya?'

'Yeh sab jo ho raha hai yeh bhi toh sahi nahi hai. Iske liye kaise samjhaun khud ko? Bhaiya ko keh dun ki ghar sell kar dein? Jo ek akhiri halki si dor hai usey bhi tod dun? Aur yeh shaadi? Chupchap kisi anjaan insaan ki wife banke uske ghar chali jaun? Ek rishte ka mazaak bana dun, woh bhi paison ke liye? Ghar na bikey isliye khud ko bech dun?' Naina could not hold back the turmoil that was churning within her all night.

Natasha grabbed her shoulders, speaking in a resolute voice, 'Shut up. Itna behuda khyal tere dimaag mein aaya kaise? Is shaadi ka reason jo bhi ho lekin mujhe pakka yakeen hai ki yeh rishta galat nahi hai... na tere liye na Sameer ke liye.'

Incredulity clouded Naina's expression, 'What do you mean?'

Natasha snapped her eyes shut, immediately regretting what she had blurted. She, along with Munna, had decided not to mention their observation to either of the two concerned people. But now that the words were out, she knew that Naina would not let it pass till she heard the whole of it.