Ladne se pyar badhta hai

Sameer was unaware of Naina's presence in the room.

Expecting Mohan to be there, he called out angrily, 'Mohan, dekh toh yeh shirt kahan atak gayi hai. Sleeve khinch rahi hai. Peeche se theek kar. Fir button laga de. Main ungli pe aur pressure nahi daalna chahta.'

When he did not hear Mohan's footsteps, his gaze lifted, 'Sunn nahi raha...'

The words died in his mouth. Quickly, he stepped behind the door, and spat out, 'Tum kya kar rahi ho yahan? Maine Mohan ko bulaya tha.' Naina was standing with her back to him was evidence enough that she had already seen him in this state.

'Mo...Mohan kitchen mein hai.' Discomfort was dripping through her voice.

'Toh tum aa gayi?' His vexation was ready to bubble over, 'Mohan ki jagah tumhe kaam pe rakha hai kya? Usey bulaya tha kyonki uska kaam tha mere kapde...' He fell silent for a moment, then mumbled in a much lower voice, '...Mohan ki help chahiye mujhe. Tum jao.'

She did not want to start a conversation. Thus, without waiting another second, she rushed to the door, reminding herself to be extra careful from now on. Never again would she let herself get into such embarrassing situation.

'Ruko.'

Sameer's stern voice put a brake, both on her feet and her thoughts.

What did he want now!

Sameer cleared his throat, before speaking hesitantly, 'Uh Naina... actually... mummy... aur baaki sabko odd lagega agar... agar main ab bhi Mohan ko...' He shut his eyes, cursing himself to have been in that stupid accident, because of which he needed help now, 'Tum... tum samajh rahi ho na? Unke liye... I mean... as a wife, tumhe yeh sab karne se problem nahi honi chahiye.'

She gasped, 'As a wife? Are you... Are you out of your mind? Main... main kaise...'

Sameer instantly cut her to clarify, 'No no. Mera matlab mujhe help karne ke liye.'

Her feet stayed glued to the floor. How could she provide the kind of help he was asking... he was standing there in nothing more than a towel. Helping him with his clothes would mean going close to him, looking at him in this state...

Naina squeezed her eyes shut, frantic, 'No way. Main yeh nahi kar sakti. Tum... tum soch bhi kaise sakte ho.'

Sameer let out an angry grunt, 'Tumhe kya lagta hai mujhe koi interest hai tumhe apne kareeb lane mein? Lekin is waqt mere paas koi option hai kya? Warna mujhe shouk nahi hai kisi se help lene ka... kapde pehenne ke liye. Agar finger ka pain nahi hota toh main pagal hun jo is kaam ke liye Mohan ko awaaz deta.'

Naina slowly opened her eyes. He was right. He was unable to perform such basic functions because of the accident... for which she held herself responsible in some way. And he was also right when he said that it would be odd if she went back and asked Mohan to come and help him for this. His family could get suspicious. They both were supposed to be lovers, not strangers... as far as everyone was concerned.

His irritated voice startled her, 'Kitni der tak aise khada rahun? Jab tak thand se fever na ho jaaye? Agar tumhara plan mujhe aise maarne ka hai toh successful nahi hoga. Ek fever se main marne wala nahi hun. Samjhi?'

Taking a steadying breath, she replied, 'Pata hai. Tum jaise thick skinned insaan ka fever kuch nahi bigaad sakta. Uske liye better planning karungi. After all, planning karna toh mujhe hamesha se aata hai. Haina?'

Before he could dish out some more sharp retorts, she took a few careful steps backwards, without turning, and extended her hand behind, 'Anyway, apni shirt do. Main theek karke deti hun.'