Ajab gazab tha pyar ka yeh khel

As Naina entered the opulent premises, the knot of nervousness tightened in her stomach. It felt like being in enemy territory, unarmed, and without any escape plan. Sameer's grandfather seemed like an authoritative, domineering person, yet he exuded a grace that didn't seem to be having any hint of arrogance. Which was abundant in his grandson, walking two steps ahead of her.

Inside, Naina was met by a middle aged couple, who seemed to have a fake smile pasted on their faces.

Sameer gave them his usual hint of smile, with a nod, and walked towards the stairs to go to his room, as was his habit.

'Sameer!' Ambika hissed, drawing his attention, 'Kahan jaa raha hai?'

'Apne room mein.' Sameer stopped and stated matter of factly, wondering why she appeared so shocked.

'Aur Naina?' Ambika shot him an angry look.

The step which he had raised, froze mid air.

He swirled, alarmed. Naina stood in the center of the room. Silently. Not even looking at him. But Dadaji's piercing gaze was fixed on his face.

'Uh... woh main...' He fumbled for a moment, before collecting his thoughts, 'Main charger lene jaa raha tha. Phone... phone dead ho gaya hai.'

As if to mock him, his phone started to ring precisely at that moment.

Quickly, he pulled it out from the pocket. If he could get into the phone, he would have strangled Pandit with his bare hands for choosing this moment to call up.

Sheepishly smiling at his family, he cut the call, '1%. Bas 1% battery baaki hai. Isliye charger laata hun.'

And without another word, he hopped up to his room. Ambika and Girish looked at Naina. She gulped, then folded her hands again to greet the couple. The one time she actually wanted this spoiled Maheshwari brat to be next to her, he had left her alone.

Sensing the awkwardness in the room, Dadaji gestured to Naina, 'Arey beta tum khadi kyon ho? Baitho baitho.'

He then craned his neck to a direction which could be the kitchen and called out, 'Madhav, paani leke aa.'

Naina did not move from her place. All she wanted to do was flee from this highly uneasy environment.

Girish nudged his wife. Nodding, she stepped ahead and smiled at Naina, directing her to the sofa, 'Yahan aakar baitho tum. Humein bohot sari baatein karni hai. Khadi rahi toh thak jaogi.'

Naina perched on the edge, twisting the strap of her bag. Unknowingly, her eyes darted to the stairs.

Dadaji smiled, 'Sameer ka intezaar kar rahi ho? Woh bhi aa jayega. Tab tak hum log aapas mein jaan pehchaan kar lein?'

He then pointed at the other two, 'Yeh hai mera beta Girish or uski wife Ambika. Sameer inka beta hai. Aur main... tum samajh hi gayi hogi ki main us nalayak ka dada hun.'

A small smile appeared on Naina's face, 'Ji... ji uncle. Bataya tha... Sameer ne.' Then, seeing their inquisitive eyes, she offered, 'Main Naina... Naina Agarwal.'

Ambika settled on the chair opposite her and fixed her curious gaze on Naina, 'Kahan rehti ho tum? Kaun kaun hai family mein? Kya karte hain tumhare gharwale?'

Naina was aware that Sameer had lied to them about visiting her family in Gujarat previous week. She stated hesitantly, 'Ahmedabad mein rehte hain. Job... ek company mein job hai unka.'

'Kiska?' Girish asked, 'Papa ya mummy?'

Naina wetted her dry lips, 'Papa aur mummy... nahi hain. They passed away. Bhai... bade bhai hain. Job karte hain.'

Kiska Hai Tumko Intezaar जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें