Mrs Maheshwari

Natasha was bewildered at Naina's declaration. She had been trying to convince Naina of the same, who was denying all along... until now. So why this sudden change? It definitely was not because of the accident.

'Tu sach bol rahi hai?' She narrowed her eyes as a doubt formed in her mind, 'Naina, kahin tu mujhe chup karne ke liye jhooth bolkar fir se bhagne ka plan toh nahi bana rahi?'

Naina let out a deep breath, slowly, shaking her head once, ' Nahi Nutty, bhagne ka time chala gaya. Ab main iss situation se nahi bhaag sakti.'

Natasha tried to decipher the meaning of her words. Even though she had planned to hide herself by running away, Naina was not the person who would give up under pressure. If she had decided to go ahead with it, then probably she had thought of something. Because if this marriage was to happen, it would be a marriage of convenience.

She flashed an incredulous look at her friend, 'Dekh Naina, main jaanti hoon main itne dinon se tujhe Sameer ki baat manne ke liye keh rahi thi... shart bhi maine hi lagayi thi. Lekin meri jaan, tu sirf mere kehne pe...'

Before she could finish, Naina interrupted, 'It's not because of you. Yeh decision... mera hai.'

Natasha had many questions, but the alarm on her watch beeped to bring her attention to the time. Hastily, she switched it off and sighed, 'Meri flight ka time ho gaya hai. I'll have to go. Lekin Naina, tu abhi faisla mat le. Take twenty four hours. Main kal raat wapas aaungi tab baat karenge. Okay? Aur haan, promise kar ki tu kahin nahi jayegi... Rishikesh toh bilkul nahi.'

A faint smile tugged at Naina's lips, 'Main kal tujhe yahin milungi. Don't worry.'

It was well past midnight when Naina stood alone in the balcony. Except for the small bulbs around the pathway, whole of the society complex was engulfed in darkness. There was no fog tonight. Yet, there was no sign of moon or stars either. The sky had been overcast with thick clouds since afternoon. The clouds could not be seen now but the uninterrupted inkiness of the sky confirmed that they formed a dense layer over the city.

It was cold. But Naina did not want to go back inside. Life had brought her at such a crossroad that external discomfort was nothing as compared to the chaos of thoughts swirling like a storm inside her.

She had accepted long back that her life could never be like that of people around her... a rhythmic cycle of ups and downs in a family. She would never get to experience what others took for granted. Yet, she was not prepared for the complexities that ensued every time she felt she had taken a step forward. When she had landed the job in her present company, it had elated her. A higher position, greater opportunities, better working environment... it seemed all had fallen into place. She could think of saving enough money for a house after paying back the loan.

And to achieve this dream, she had gone ahead and accepted the stupid contract... with Sameer Maheshwari.

Agreed, it was entirely her mistake. Had she not concurred to be a part of such sheer deception, today she would not have succumbed to something that she did not accord with... because of what she had stowed away in a secret corner of her heart, assuming it to be an impossible quest.

Naina shut her eyes, drawing in a sharp breath as another wave of regret awashed her. She could not fight her need anymore... she could not suppress the desire that had started taking shape since last few days... she could not let the opportunity pass.

She had taken the decision to enter into another contract with Sameer... a contract of marriage for one year. But it was not for him, it was for herself.

She had given in to her greed.

Though, she would never accept it in front of anyone... not even Natasha.