Mount Abu... ya Ooty

The night was a long one for Naina. There was no sign of sleep. Neither could she put the thoughts to rest. Just one thing kept plaguing her... what if her decision is the biggest mistake of her life.

Finally, she got up at the crack of dawn and busied herself in work. First she cleaned the kitchen, scrubbing every surface and corner, then sorted the cupboard, cleaning both here and Natasha's shelves. Next was the house, which she mopped and dusted till tere was no speck of dirt anywhere. It was tiring, but the physical activity kept her mind away from what had left her exhausted. Lastly, she placed all the dirty clothes in the washing machine, clearing the laundry basket as well. When the phone started to ring, Naina was about to go for her bath.

'Hello bhabhi.' Anaya's lively voice resonated through the phone, 'Aapki fingers kaisi hain? Apna haath paani mein mat daalna. Waise aap ghar aa rahi ho na? Mummy ne kaha hai apni friend ko bhi le aana. Aap dono aaj yahin lunch karna.'

Naina had completely forgotten about it. And now it was too late to remind her to stay away from water. She looked at her fingers. There was no trace of anything, not even a rash. Though, it was not just the burn that had healed because of their concern.

She fisted the hand and placed it on her heart, a smile slowly blooming on her face, 'Haath bilkul theek hai Anu. Nothing to worry. Thanks to all of you.'

'Offo bhabhi, family ko thanks thodi bolte hain. Bas aap dono jaldi se aa jao.' Anaya's vivacious voice seemed to lift the layer of gloom that was settled on Naina's heart.

She informed about Natasha's absence because of her flight schedule and agreed to come shortly. Only after she had cut the call did her own eagerness to go left her nonplussed. The mixture of hope and apprehension welling inside her was frightening, yet it felt like the right thing to do.

Two hours later, Naina entered the Maheshwari house, only to be met by silence. The usual dulcet tones that greeted her whenever she had visited were replaced by a conspicuous stillness that surprised her.

When Mohan served her water, Naina asked, 'Sab log kahan hain?'

He pointed towards the first floor, 'Sameer bhaiya ke room mein.'

Putiing the glass back on the table, Naina got up swiftly, her brows knit in concern, 'Kya hua? Sameer theek toh hai na?'

But she did not wait for an answer. The day before, she had been to Sameer's room and knew well where it was. Rushing up the stairs, she hurried to find out for herself... but halted just outside the door. The sound of hassled voices was drifting out quite clearly.

Girish implored worriedly, 'Tujhe pata hai na Sameer ki yeh kitna important hai. Fir bekaar ki zid kyon kar raha hai?'

Dadaji was next, 'Agar koi badi baat hoti toh main iss baare mein sochta lekin tera reason bachkana hai.'

Sameer's frustrated reply fell in her ears, 'Aap log samajh kyon nahi rahe? Mere liye yeh sabse bada reason hai. Aakhir meri shaadi hai. Apni hi shaadi mein main khud ko importance na dun toh kab dunga?'

The tension somewhat eased as Naina realised there was no issue regarding his injuries or health. This was a discussion about the wedding. It appeared that Sameer was creating some difficult situation... yet again.

Anaya's voice confirmed her suspicion, 'Bhai, maine kaha na I'll take care of this. Yeh dekho kitne saare examples hain. Kuch dikh raha hai inmein? Aap itni si baat ke liye poora program kharab nahi kar sakte.'

In a vexed tone, Sameer snapped back, 'Aap sabko apne program ki fikr mujhse zyada hai. Meri pictures kharab hongi uski kisi ko nahi padi.'

It was Ambika who tried to pacify him, 'Beta pictures bohot achhi ayengi. Mera beta waise hi itna handsome hai. Dulha banke toh ekdum rajkumar lagega. Tera nishan kisi ko nahi dikhega. Sehre ke neeche chup jayega.'