Chidiya, totey, kabootar... sab udd gaye

The moment they entered the room, Sameer put Naina down, averting his eyes.

She let out a relieved exhale, 'Thank God! Main toh darr gayi thi ki aaj tumhe mauka mila hai aaj pakka mujhe gira doge.'

When he still did not meet her eyes, Naina gave him a suspicious look, 'Mujhe aisa kyon lag raha hai ki yehi plan tha tumhara... gharwalon ki wajah se poora nahi kar paaye isliye ab muh phula ke khade ho.'

Without a word or a glance, Sameer walked away briskly towards the washroom. Banging shut the door behind him, he tried to shake off the unsettling feeling that had stirred within him. He placed his hands on the sink counter and gazed at his reflection when his eyes drifted to the right side of his chest, where Naina had nestled her head. With a frustrated sigh, he shook his head fiercely, as if trying to shake off the image that replayed in his mind like a relentless loop... of her warm, soft body pressed into him.

The pounding of his heart drummed in his ears. His pulse was racing to give it a tough competition. A dryness gripped his throat as a realisation stung him.

He was getting physically attracted to Naina.

'Nahi. Yeh theek nahi hai.' He angrily exclaimed, 'Jab maine aaj tak kisi ke liye aisa feel nahi kiya toh ab kyon? Jisey main pyar nahi karta uske liye koi aur feeling bhi nahi aani chahiye. Mera har ahsaas, har emotion, saara pyar sirf uss ek ladki ke liye hai jo ek din meri zindagi mein ayegi, mera pehla pyar banke.'

Shutting his eyes, he let out a long exhale, 'Calm down, Sameer. Control yourself. Naina ke liye aisa feel karna possible hi nahi hai. Pehli baar kisi ladki ko apni baahon mein uthaya hai isliye... warna Naina jaisi ordinary ladki ke liye mera dil aise kabhi nahi dhadakta. Jab ek bed pe sote hue mujhe kabhi usey choone tak ka mann nahi hua toh ab kyon.'

And then it occurred to him that except for the first day, he had not seen Naina sleeping on the bed. At night, she would be sitting up against the headboard, perched on the edge, reading some book till late. She must be sleeping after him, because he couldn't recall a day in last one week when she switched off the lamp while he was still awake. And every morning, she was up before him. His mouth pressed in a thin line... was she doing this on purpose? Did she have trust issues?

His eyes widened in shocked surprise. Did she really think he would make a move on her? His mind reeling with disbelief, he could not fathom the absurdity of this idea. Silently, he resolved to keep a safe distance from now on, and try not to show closeness even in front of his family, who was already convinced. They were now married to each other, after all. It was proof enough.

Naina was typing into her phone when he sauntered into the room.

She looked up briefly, a little frown marring her brow, 'Theek ho na? Pain toh nahi ho gaya fir se? Ya pair twist ho gaya? Kya hua?'

'Kuch nahi.' He said drily, and walked out to the terrace. Naina kept her eyes on his back till he disappeared, then went back to her phone.

When Sameer did not turn up for quite some time, she went down alone. From the living room, she could hear the sound of laughter, where the family was probably watching a show or a movie. She joined them.

Anaya giggled as Naina took a seat next to her, 'Lo, hamari heroine toh aa gayi. Bhabhi, aapka hero kahan hai? I mean, bhai kahan hain?'

Girish added, amidst peals of laughter, 'Arey Naina, usey bhi bula lo. Dekho zara, tum dono pe saalon pehle film ban chuki hai, aur humein pata tak nahi tha.'

'Huh?' Naina was baffled, 'Humpe?'

Ambika elbowed her husband before replying to Naina, 'Inka matlab hai is film ke hero heroine ka naam Sameer aur Naina hai. Bas itni hi similarity hai. Aur kuch nahi.'