Baarat sar pe khadi thi aur woh zid pe adi thi

The door opened fully to reveal the person on the other side. The smile was wiped off Natasha's face instantly. And was transferred to Naina.

'Namaste madam.' The guard of their building blinked, looking from one to another.

Natasha frowned, 'Bolo Dharmender, tum yahan kya kar rahe ho? Kuch chahiye?'

The guard, Dharmender, quickly shook his head, a sheepish smile on his face as he recalled how he used to ring their bell just about anytime when he was new to the duty. He had come from the village, and did not understand the nature of his job fully, thus always accompanied any visitor to the flat they wanted to go to. Since Naina and Natasha were on the first floor, he would often come asking them to fill up his water bottle. Though they never refused, other guards reprimanded him when they got to know, and told him about the water cooler at the back of their building. He had come to them to apologise later. Naina and Natasha had politely assured him that it was okay.

With the same apologetic look on his face today, he hastily offered, 'Madam, maine phone kiya tha. Lekin ek phone kisi ne uthaya nahi aur dusra switched off bata raha tha.'

Naina recalled that she had left her phone in the bedroom when she sauntered out. She picked up Natasha's phone from the edge of the sofa, only to realise that after talking to Sameer, she had switched it off by mistake.

She looked at the guard, 'Par aap phone kyon kar rahe the? Koi parcel aaya hai?'

'Nahi madam ji. Guest hain.' He flashed an intelligent smile, 'Main pehchanta hun inhe isliye saath le aaya. Aksar aate hain... kal raat bhi aaye the.'

And he moved aside to show the person in question, who was, till now, hidden on the other side of the door.

'Sameeeer!' Natasha brightened instantly, and waved at the guard, 'Thank you. Tum jao. Hum jaante hain inhe.'

The guard, Dharmender, relieved at doing the correct thing, rushed back towards the stairs, while Sameer hesitantly walked in.

Naina stood rooted to the spot, her eyes frozen. His presence was no less than a nightmare. To worsen the blow, Natasha winked at her, as she stood behind Sameer, both of them gazing at her.

Sameer cleared his throat slightly, 'Uh... mujhe itni late disturb nahi karna chahiye tha... but... actually I was... main yahan se guzar raha tha toh socha ek baar... I mean... I just thought ek baar check kar lun ki tumhara fever kam hua ya nahi.'

'Don't be formal Sameer.' Natasha chirped, waving at the sofa, 'Please take a seat. Main aur Naina tumhari hi baat kar rahe the.'

Both his and Naina's eyes widened.

Quickly, Natasha clarified, 'Tumhe thank you kehne ke liye. Agar tum mujhe call nahi karte toh yeh jhalli ladki fever mein bhi kaam karti rehti aur ab tak zyada bimar ho jaati. Thanks Sameer, meri taraf se. Naina apna thank you khud bol degi.'

She then raised a brow at her friend, 'Haina sweetheart? Tujhe bhi thank you kehna tha na.'

Naina let out a forced smile, 'Of course.' Then turned to Sameer, 'Thanks to you, ab main bilkul theek hun. Lekin aage bhi theek rahungi ya nahi yeh nahi pata.'

'Matlab?' He was perplexed, 'Koi major problem hai kya?'

'Is waqt sabse major problem hai ki tum yahan ho.' Her voice tightened with every word, the consequences weighing in her mind now.

Natasha tried to downplay the situation, noticing the awkwardness between them, 'Woh bas tujhe dekhne aaya hai meri jaan. Itni si baat pe bhadak kyon rahi hai?'

While Sameer flinched at her endearments, Naina glared at her, 'Tujhe pata tha? Did you plan this?' Her eyes shot back to Sameer, 'Tumhe Nutty ne aane ko kaha? Ya tumne usey pehle hi bata diya tha ki tum yahan aane wale ho?'