(12)

Imagine Aini's shock when she got to know that Fakhir has got an 'A' in his exams. At first, she thought he was buffing, but he couldn't possibly have bought a fake marksheet just to show off in front of her. And the way he was radiating it was true that somehow this miracle has also happened.

Everyone was sitting in the hall, when the news of Fakhir's result was told by Sameena. They congratulated him and Dadi... whose favourite child was Fakhir, immediately took out some money and gave it to him.
Aini can never forget the smile and look Fakhir gave to her while taking the money.
If it was not enough, Dadi gave Aini the order to make 'Kheer' to celebrate the occasion and also because her 'kheer-pakai' rasam was still pending till now.

"But Dadi... I" before she could say anything, Dadi spoke up again

"Yes, you only. Firstly... because you haven't completed the rasam because of your exams and school." The tone in which her Dadi talked about her education always pained her "and most importantly, Fakhir is your husband and as a wife it is you who should celebrate his success. So, it's decided that in today's dinner we will have a chance to taste the zaiqa of your hand as well." Amma had put her point in such a way that there was no space left for any more talk or discussion.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Aini was on the verge of giving up now, she had been in the kitchen for the past half an hour or more, but the mix of rice, milk and sugar in front of her was nowhere looking the way a kheer should look like.

Her Amma had given her the instructions and everything... but still she had no idea of when to simmer down the gas or for how long it has to be stirred so that it doesn't get burned and she was sure of it that she has either forgotten something or did something wrong.

She was still looking at the pot trying to think of what can be done, when she heard someone whispering

"Aini... Aini"

She looked around and saw Faiza near the kitchen window and went towards her.

"What?"

Faiza forwarded a mobile inside and said "Amma is stuck with dadi and phuphu. But she has sent this for you; she has clearly written down all the instructions in here. Just follow them and maybe... your kheer would be somewhat... umm, edible." Faiza said while giving her a hopeful smile.

Aini looked as if she got a lifesaver in the middle of the dessert. She quickly took the phone from her sister's hand and with that she went back to her battle ground; ready to come out as a winner.

________________________________________________________________________________

Aini came out dressed in her beautiful pink suit carrying the tray with bowls of kheer on it for everyone after the dinner. As she moved around the room, distributing the bowls, she finally approached Fakhir and extended the last bowl towards him.

Fakhir, slightly raising his eyebrows in surprise looked at her and with a nod took the bowl from her hand.

Zaheer and everyone sitting there took their first bite and Aini... who was standing still with her heart racing was searching for any displeased look on anyone's face, when Zaheer cleared his throat and called Aini towards him.

She saw him took out few notes from his pocket and forwarding those towards her said "Masha Allah, it's delicious." And also gave a pat on her head. And the next moment the whole room was filled with appreciation for her.

She turned and looked at the one, who was finishing up his kheer but hadn't said anything till now; Fakhir glanced up and saw Aini looking at him with a mischievous smirk on her face and playfully flashed the money she had received just now.