(24)

I contemplated and struggled with this chapter THE most, whether to post it or not. Please do read it till the end 😊
_________________________

Fakhir's POV:

Since childhood Aini was someone with whom I had played, fought and spend most of my time with. But never it had crossed my mind that she would become my wife and that too when I was emotionally attached to someone else. But who has any control over the written fate... the nikah took place and now she was in front of me, around me... all the time.

Even though there was nothing in between us as husband and wife... oh, who am I kidding with... husband and wife toh door ki baat hai, do minute sukoon se baat ho jaye toh wahi bohot thi. But she is here now and there is no denying of it.

The room, once solely mine, was now filled with the traces of her presence. Her books found refuge on the bed and study table, her colourful suits added a vibrant touch to my solid-coloured clothes, and her hair clips or sometimes pen or other things finding a home among the bedsheets.

Sometimes when I see her moving from one place to another keeping or arranging her things in our room so... easily and comfortably, it made me think how she had lived like this in another portion of the house and now... this room, my place is hers as well; making me realize the seamless integration of her life into mine.

However, it was not just the surroundings that had changed... our relationship was changing as well. From hating to be in each other's company, we have now started to find solace by talking to each other and discussing our never-ending problems.

I myself never knew that Aini would know how to comfort me or I would find comfort and support in her presence, both the times when I was overwhelmed with emotions... she was there with me.

I can't deny the understanding that had grown between us. Aini was no longer just a nagging cousin; she is my wife now. The familial ties that bound us had unexpectedly become threads weaving a connection among us and maybe because of this, I unexpectedly have found myself seeing her in a different light.

The other time as well, when Aini's face was adorned with the smudge of chocolate, it had been an unexpected trigger for me. When I had realized, I couldn't grasp that I had come closer to her than ever before. The proximity had ignited something within me, something which I couldn't define or rationalize. The simple playful banter had taken a deep turn, surprising me as well.

Protecting her from Chachu was something which I would have done for any woman, but the possessiveness and jealously, emotions which I had never associated with Aini, surfaced unexpectedly... and that too just because of a simple congratulatory handshake from another guy.

Ek toh uska aage se behas karna, har baat ka palat ke jawab dena... it's not like she didn't do this before, but now she is constantly present in everything and everywhere. No one gets on my nerves like she does... yet, witnessing her in a state of agitation, her usual composure ruffled up because of my antics, holds a peculiar charm.

I remember my wedding day, when Ahmed had said "Aini bohot khoobsurat hai" and how I had reacted; but I know, at least now... that my friend was not wrong. As much as it irks me to admit, there's an undeniable truth in his words. Life has a way of surprising us, and perhaps, in the unexpected, we find the truest forms of beauty.