(48)

As Fakhir entered the office, the familiar hustle and bustle of the workplace surrounded him. Greeting everyone, he made a beeline for the accounting section.

Reaching there he found Habib standing there and going through a file.

"Chachu" he called out, causing Habib to get startle and leading him to drop the file from his hand.

Turning swiftly he found his nephew standing there with confusion etched on his face.
White ashen face, mouth agape and wide eyes... Habib clearly looked shocked.

Fakhir slowly taking a step at a time, moved closer and before Habib could unfreeze and pick up the file, his nephew did the honours.

Straightening up, he opened the file and analysed it – a CVP Analysis report. His eyes snapped to his uncle's stiff posture, then back at the file which he closed and tucked it securely under his arm.

"Assalamu alykum Chachu" he greeted, as if nothing happened

"Aap, aaj subha nashte pe nahi the"

("You were not present at breakfast, today")

Habib who was already a little taken aback, now looked completely shaken up. Masking away his expression, he cleared his throat and greeted back.

"Hm... hmm. Wo m-mujhe kuch kaam tha, toh jaldi nikla tha ghar se" he replied, swiftly

("Hm... hmm. Yeah, I- I had s-some work. So, I left early")

Fakhir nodded his head "No problem... Chachu. You go at your desk. I'll send someone with tea and snacks. It will help you get some energy... you look pale" he said, with a polite smile on his face

Habib just gave him a curt nod and immediately left the room.

Fakhir released a breath and opened the file again to go through it "What are you doing, Chachu and why are you doing all of this" he muttered to himself.

His face clearly showing disappointment.

Dismissing the thoughts, he kept the file back in its place and started with the work he came for.

________________________________________________________________________________

Aini was busy arranging the clothes in their wardrobe when Fakhir entered the room. His hands full of files and his bag on his shoulder, he closed the door shut with his foot before walking inside.

Dumping the load on the bed, he sat down and let out an exhausted sigh.

"Assalamu alykum" Aini greeted him, closing the wardrobe and turning towards him

"Walykum assalam" he replied, as he unbuttoned the top two buttons of his shirt and massaged his neck and stiff shoulders... a yawn escaping his mouth, clearly showing his tiredness.

"Fakhir" Aini called out, forwarding a glass of water towards him, which he took in no time.

After gulping down the water, he kept away the glass and spoke up, "See, Aini... I found all the important documents needed for my assignment" pointing towards the pile of files.

"You know, I even came up with a solution to accommodate everything, at least for these two weeks" his eyes glinting as he spoke

"Aur tumhe pata hai, Shukar hai Allah ka ki submission date Ramzan se pehle ki hai... socho agar yeh Ramzan me submit ya banana padta" he kept talking and telling her, but when he didn't receive any response... he looked up and found her standing with a blank face.