(15)

The whole house seemed lifeless, it felt as if all the happiness had gone leaving grief and numbness in its wake.

The head of the family, the pillar from which everyone took support, the big tree which gave shade and fruit to the people who stood under it... has been uprooted and planted in a place, from where no one returns.

Zaheer Ahmed... was no more; and it had left the whole family shaken up and grief stricken to the greatest extent.

Fakhir was still not able to believe that his Baba was not with him anymore, all his past moments with his father... happy, sad, tense, bad and good... each of them, playing in front of his eyes like a broken record.

He was regretting the days and time when he didn't listen to what his baba said to him or how he had talked to him during his wedding days... how he had felt anger and frustration towards his own father; all of this made him choke on his emotions... tears finding their way out and flowing nonstop... all these thoughts was making him feel more miserable with each passing moment.

Aini came to her room, after making her Badi Ammi eat something and then leaving her Amma with Sameena for the night

She herself was so overwhelmed with so much sadness that she felt sick to her stomach. But it was not the time to crumble down... she needs to be strong so that she can take care of her family in these tough times.

As she entered, she saw Fakhir standing in the balcony gazing up at the dark sky filled with stars. She walked up to him and just stood beside him... not knowing what to say.
Fakhir was looking at the sky when he heard the familiar sound of bangles and then felt her standing to his right.

"Dadi used to tell us that Dada Jaan is there" he pointed at the sky "the most shining star of all... always peering down at us. Do... do you think, Ba..." he felt his voice broke "Baba is also there now, looking at us from far away." A tear rolled down as he spoke.

Aini felt her eyes water, but she shook her head trying to stabilize herself and said while pointing at the sky "Look, Fakhir... there is one more star beside Dada jaan's one. It... it is the brightest star in the whole sky. Bade Abbu is not just looking at us, but h..." she cleared her throat "he will always be alive in our hearts and memories." She said while trying to keep her voice steady and soft.

But, next moment only she heard a sob and turned to find Fakhir crying while holding the railing. She moved closer to him and kept a hand on his shoulder to tell him that he was not alone in this... she is there with him.

Fakhir totally consumed in his grief almost lost his balance and if it had not been for Aini, he would have succumbed to the floor. Aini unable to witness Fakhir in this shattered state any longer, reached out and held his hand, guiding him gently inside and settling him on the bed.
With thoughts of fetching water for him, she had only taken a few steps when a hand seized her, and the next moment... she felt all her breath been taken away.

Fakhir and Aini are not your typical husband and wife, and surely there have been nothing much but fights or quarrels between them since the wedding.

But, right now... the way her heart was racing ... she thought it would burst out from its confines.

Aini sat beside Fakhir on the bed, who clung to her with a fierce grip, his actions devoid of any conscious thought. He had seized her hand and pulled her into an embrace, his pain overwhelming him.

Aini's hands which were still in the air because of the temporary shock, finally moved and she placed one on his back and other one in his hair... which made her breath hitch for the second time now... because next moment only, Fakhir had ducked his head between her head and shoulder, leaving her shaken to the core. She felt hot tears running down on her skin, and that made her tighten her hold on Fakhir; who cried his heart out.

.

.

Aini was now sitting on the sofa, looking out from the window, lost in her thoughts. The room was silent except for the soft rustling of bed sheets. She turned her head and saw Fakhir sleeping peacefully, clutching a pillow as if it were a lifeline.

It had taken a lot of time and effort to make him stop crying and then make him eat something; but eventually all that patience and continuous requests yielded the desired results, and now, in the tranquility of his slumber, she found solace.

________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note:

I know this is a small chapter, but get yourself ready for the upcoming story.

I genuinely want to know your REVIEWS about everything. They really help me understand my fellow readers.

Are you all liking the small edits that I add between the chapters?... Should I continue them or not..??

Eagerly waiting for your response 🫶  

Next Update... Monday (In Sha Allah) 

Thank you for giving your time to this story

Do give your reviews and don't forget to vote.

See you all next time. Bye :)