Chapter Five

JAREK

‘I demand your presence here. NOW!’ Commanding through a mind link to Xillon, and Zane.

Our families have been the rulers of the Blood Moon Howler pack for several centuries. Our pack is the largest and most powerful worldwide, beyond the werewolf dominion overseas.

I’m destined to assume control over the pack once I turn nineteen. On the following night proceeding my nineteenth birthday, we will hold a coronation ball. Where I am to be crowned alpha, and meet my mate. Unlike other shifters who find their mates at eighteen, alphas have to wait until they’re crowned and have assumed control over the pack.

This has been the norm for centuries. The coronation ball started a couple of centuries ago when the current alpha at the time could not find his mate. An alpha is weak and cannot run his pack without a mate. He traveled far and wide for several years before stumbling upon her. Our pack elders have forced all werewolf shifters from America to attend from that juncture on. It’s insane. Any other member of the pack could discover their mates at eighteen. Xillon and Zane will find their mates before me. Can’t say I like that.

I don’t plan on fucking anything but my mate. Trex has different ideas, though, so staying faithful to my mate will be tough. I have porn, and hands; that’s all a man needs until his mate materializes. I will not lie; it’s been difficult to stay away from other females in the pack because they are constantly throwing themselves at me. My father stayed pure for my mother; so if he can do it, I can.

Xillon and Zane will be supportive of me and back me up once I tell them about my dream. I can’t keep this to myself. We need to do something about Silver now, before it’s too late. I had never had that experience with mind-altering substances. The dream I had was a foreboding of things to come.

Remember, nothing from last night passed, dad kicking my ass. Chasing her down on my dirt bike was messed up. Beyond messed up, actually. We’ve bullied her, with words mostly. Maybe some slight assault bickering, as siblings would normally do. Man, I could have seriously injured her. What the hell was I thinking?

Eavesdropped on Dante, asking her out on a date, saw red and lost control. Why was I angry when I heard him asking her out on a date? Perhaps Trex was at the surface and I didn’t realize it. One would think I was jealous. That isn’t the case at all. Certainly not jealous of him. He’s an outsider that doesn’t belong in this pack. He and his parents are visitors. Happiness isn’t something Silver deserves, though. Particularly after that dream I woke up from. Selene, the Moon goddess, was granting me insight into the future. I know it.

***

Once they arrived, I accounted every minute detail of my dream. Including the sparring between Xillon, Silver, and Zane. Went as far as telling them about how Trex had sensed something going on and had ended their brawl.

“Dude, you know I usually have your back. But you need to let this go. It was just an insane, wild dream. Annalise has done nothing but try to protect herself from us since we were all small children. I have sided with you long enough, Jarek. Won’t do it any longer. She’s your sister, not the enemy. Stop acting like a jealous asshole and protect her as a big brother should. As an alpha should do,” Xillon said, rolling his eyes.

“There’s something going on here. Don’t think I like it. Suddenly you’re calling her by her given name. You have feelings for Silver, don’t you?!” I yelled, snarling in Xillon’s face.

“Back off, killer. I have five siblings, most of whom are girls. One of which is my twin. I safeguard the girls in my family with my life. I’m kinder to Annalise because she lacks anyone besides your parents and the elders of this pack looking after her. You are her older brother. That’s supposed to be your responsibility, Jarek.”