Chapter Fifteen

XILLON

Striding to the vacant space adjoining Annalise’s, I draw my mobile phone from my back pocket and send a brief message to Alpha Maxamillian. He and Luna Celestia are in meetings with the neighboring pack-leaders, so I know better than to call.

I send a mind link to Jarek and Zane, then walk back to Annalise’s room. ‘Annalise is awake.’

Upon arriving at Annalise’s room, I see Cadance was gone and Annalise appears to have fallen asleep once again. Sitting down, I caress her cheek and grip her hand in mine, hoping she would wake, but she didn’t.

“Did you contact the Alpha?” Cadance asked as she walked into the room.

“Yeah, but it appears Annalise has drifted off. Should I contact him and tell him it was a false alarm?”

“Let me check her vitals and pupils first.”

Cadance goes about her usual routine of checking Annalise’s vitals and gasps sadly when she looks into her eyes.

“Her eyes are glazed over and her pupils are dilated. Message the Alpha and tell him she appears to have slipped back into a coma.”

“What the hell happened? She was awake and talking just fine ten minutes ago. Why did you leave her here by herself? This is what happens when I leave the room,” I yell, glaring at Cadance.

“I don’t know what happened. I…” Cadance trails off and shakes her head.

“Fuck! Annalise! Come on, babe. I miss you. I need you back with me. The last two months have been torture. Don’t leave me again.”

Clutching my phone, I text Alpha Maxamillian, then dial Alpha Gabriel’s cell.

‘Alpha Gabriel speaking.’

‘Annalise was awake, but only for a moment. She has slipped back into a coma. Cadance has no clue what happened.’

‘I’ll be right over.’

‘Okay. Bring Dante along with you. I think we should try hacking into her subconscious again.’

‘Sounds like a good idea, Xillon. We’ll be there shortly.’

Softly brushing my lips over Annalise’s lips, I sigh with sadness when she doesn’t wake. Don’t know what I was hoping for. Maybe that true love kiss would rouse her from her sleep. That’s a crazy notion to have, because I’ve spent most of my life tormenting Annalise. Over the last year since my first shift, Xavier has shown me the error of my ways. I have truly begun to care for Annalise a great deal. Now that I have pledged guardianship over her, my feelings for Annalise have grown tenfold.

“I thought you said she was awake,” Jarek grumbled as he walked in with Zane in tow.

“She was. I left for ten minutes to contact Alpha Max and mind link you guys. Returned, and she had relapsed into a coma. I didn’t think you guys would give a shit, anyway. Neither one of you has come to visit her the whole two months she’s been out.”

“We’ve been busy.” Zane says, shrugging his shoulders.

“No. Jarek’s still pissed at her for nearly killing his ass,” I murmur, rolling my eyes.

Jarek glares at me, spins around, and leaves the room.

“I don’t see what you see in her. She’s going to burn this pack to the ground. You should just leave her be, man,” Zane says and follows Jarek out the door.

“Don’t listen to them, Annalise. They’ll change their tune once they see how important you are to the pack and how amazing you truly are. Zane’s just pissed that his wolf has deserted him. Serves him right.”