Trinity of Entanglement Chapter Twenty-Four

LORNA

Calissa and I tiptoed our way into the dimly lit wine cellar. The musty smell of aging wine permeated the air as we searched for the oldest vintage. The sound of our hushed whispers echoed off the stone walls, adding to the eerie atmosphere. We knew that if Alpha Gabriel caught us, he would be furious, but we couldn’t resist the thrill of the hunt. Despite his gruff exterior, Alpha Gabriel always treated us like daughters. As the only two girls our age in the pack, we relished the special privileges that came with our status. 

Calissa shrieks, quietly, in excitement, “It’s insane that all of their parents are letting them come here for our girls’ night! But it’s perfect because the adults around here don’t bat an eye when they see us drinking wine. We are all going to have so much fun!” With a wide grin on her face, she pulls out a wine bottle to inspect it.

It has been a few days since the day I arrived, and Skylar went berserk. Since attending the initiation banquet and pack run the next night, I’ve hidden myself inside my room. I’ve had enough rest and recovery to feel suffocated. Skylar was becoming restless. So, I woke up before dawn this morning, shifted, and gave her some control for a brief period. 

Calissa and I are excitedly getting ready for a night full of fun. For once, we have other girls to hang out with, which is a pleasant change. It has always been just the two of us, surrounded by guys. 

As I pulled a wine bottle from its slot, I glanced in her direction and suggested, “Wouldn’t it be great if we could all drive into the city? We could stock up on pampering products, do each other’s nails, and beautify each other’s faces. I know it’s pointless because the nails fall off and regenerate after shifting, but it’s still something fun that you and I haven’t done in a while.”

Calissa glances my way. She grins mischievously and winks. “Add some candy and chips to that list and I’m all in,” she replies. “I know we have wolves now, but that doesn’t mean we only need meat and vegetables. My sweet tooth is hankering for some chocolate and sugar. I don’t care what we get, as long as we stock up on something.”

I can’t help but smile as I glance at the label on the wine bottle, its intricate design catching my eye. Excitement bubbles up inside of me, causing me to hop around like a child. I hold the bottle out to Calissa, feeling the cool glass against my fingertips. The sweet aroma of the wine inside the bottle fills my senses. “Found one!” I exclaim, my voice echoing off the damp stone walls. “It’s been fermenting for over a hundred years!” My heart races as I imagine the taste of the aged wine, and the thrill of trying something so rare. “If we could find one more bottle, that should be fine. Then we can take one of the newer bottles.”

Calissa carefully examines the dusty bottle, her fingers tracing its intricate design as she grins in satisfaction. She gently places it in the wicker basket we brought down to the dimly lit wine cellar with us. The room is musty, and the air is thick with the scent of aged oak barrels and fermented grapes. As we continue our search, the sound of our footsteps echoes through the cavernous space.

After some time, we settle on one vintage and two not-so-ancient wines. As we make our way back to the main part of the house, the weight of the basket in my arms is reassuring. We tiptoe past the suites where our parents reside, wanting to keep our treasure hidden. They wouldn’t mind us keeping the newer bottles, but they would make us return the vintage.

Finally, we reach my room and hide the basket away from prying eyes. The room is cool, and the soft light filtering through the window casts a warm glow over the basket. With a contented sigh, we settle into the comfortable chairs, and wait for the others to arrive.