Chapter Eighteen

JAREK

‘Oh, hell no, Trex. There’s no way. I don’t feel the mate pull or scent her like you’re supposed to when you are in proximity to your mate. I’m not to connect with my mate for two years. If what you are saying is true, I’ll reject her. I’m not mating with a damn dragon-wolf shifter.’

‘She is our mate, dumbass, and she’s not a dragon. Her wings are more of a bird than scaly like a dragon. If you reject her, I’ll see that you stay mateless, so you cannot rule over the pack. She’s the most exquisite being I’ve ever seen. Selene has blessed us beyond measure. We’re going to shift and hunt with her.’

Silver’s wolf is flawed, just as she is. Her fur is the tone of her natural eye color; sky-blue. She’s huge for a shifter wolf and has silver wings that span out a couple of yards in each direction. A silver crescent moon shines brightly on her forehead between her orbs, which hold all three hues-blue, silver and gold.

‘Even her wolf is an ugly freak of nature! Stand down, damn it! She’s not our mate! You better not do anything to embarrass the shit out of me! I would never accept that abomination as my mate!’

Silver’s wolf glares at me and growls, then looks beyond me as if something more interesting stands behind me. I have to duck so her wings don’t hit me in the head when she passes me and saunters over to Xillon. She whimpers, licks his cheeks and nuzzles his neck with her nose as she inhales deeply. Xillon’s stiff as a board with fear etching his features. He suddenly shifts into his massive grey wolf Xavier and they take off in a flash out of the dungeon’s exit.

‘That should be us. Come, let's go,’ Trex howls and shifts without my permission and follows Silver and Xavier.

‘Her name is Larrisa jackass,’ Trex growls and shoves me so far back in his mind I can no longer speak or see what’s going on.

XILLON 

‘Mate! Must have my mate!’ Xavier proclaims as he growls and starts pounding his way through my defenses.

I fight hard to keep Xavier from shifting. Silver is stunning, but she’s not ordinary. When has she ever been normal, though? Silver having wings and having light blue fur shouldn’t come as a surprise. Beyond that I have a year before being able to have knowledge of my mate. Her intoxicating scent of watermelon and the ozone after it rains wafts in my direction, and I can’t resist the mate bond that’s tugging at me so strongly I can barely breathe.

‘Xavier, what’s going on? What is she exactly?’

‘Her name is Larrisa. Such a wonderful name to a beautiful soul. Larissa is a wolf, you dumbass.’

‘She’s blue with wings. That crap isn’t normal.’

‘Shut the fuck up before I take you down. I'll get you thrashing around on the ground, like a fish out of water. Then I will take complete control. You’ll never see the light of day again. I have the power to do so.’

I roll my eyes, then freeze as Silver growls at Jarek and starts walking in my direction.

‘You can call her Annalise, or Larrisa from now on. She is our mate and you will treat her with respect. I’ve kept you from hurting her all this time. Starting now, you will protect her and safeguard her from Zane and Jarek. Although, I don’t think she needs your assistance anymore. Larissa carries a power unlike any other and Annalise has always been formidable on her own, even without Larrisa’s aid.’

I inhale sharply as Larrisa licks my face and takes a whiff of my neck. I lose all control as Xavier shifts and we take off with the speed of a lightning bolt, following our mate into the forest.