002. waiting for superman

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

         ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

     Kryptonite: Three Doors Down

"Any chance you could smooth out that ride?" Mac sits in the passenger seat as I keep my hands steady on the wheel.

"She's trying, Mac. She's trying." Jack says from the back.

"She always hates it when people speak for her." I keep my eyes forward.

"Sorry, my bad." He raises his hands up through the rearview mirror and Mac places his mouth in the gasoline tube from the corner of my eye. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Take it easy, take it easy. We still need some of that go-go juice, brother." He leans back as Mac spits out the gasoline.

"Hey, guys, heads up. Your tail invited guests to the party." Riley comes through the comms.

"I take it a drone strike is out of the question."

"Not unless you wanna start World War III." Patty comes through.

"Never mind."

"Guys, remember, we need the asset alive."

"You mean the asset and us, right?"

"Mm. Don't get insecure on me now, Jack."

I press harder on the pedal and Mac opens the window. He leans forward and I grab his jacket to keep him from falling out completely. He throws the bottle and I hear an explosion go off.

"Whoo! What happened?" Jack questions.

"I think I just made them angrier." Mac replies and Jack hands over another bottle.

"You missed." I tell him.

"You wanna trade places?"

"That a rhetorical question?" I keep my free hand steady on the wheel.

"Guys, DMZ is just around that corner. It looks like the border guards know you're coming in hot." Patty comes through.

"Can you take out the barricade?" Jack wonders.

"With what?" Mac holds up a bag of fertilizer.

"You only brought one bag of fertilizer?"

"That was all they had."

"Oh, c'mon! You gotta get your A-game on, brother."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"You..." Jack clenches his jaw and the comms beeps, making me pick it up. "You know exactly what it means."

"I'm not thinking about her." Mac assures. "Not like that."

"Oh, I know, man. But for the last two weeks, Nikki's been in your head. Ever since she escaped FBI custody, you've been off. And I gotta be honest with you, if I'm gonna do my job, I need my partner back."