039. mama knows when a dog won't hunt

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

                ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

     Get Up (Rattle): Bingo Players, Far East Movement

"Hey. You didn't come home last night." Riley says as I enter.

"Yeah, I was down in D.C." I tell her.

"Is Fitz okay?" Evan asks.

"Yeah, he's fine." I quickly rub my eyes.

"But you aren't. You look plastered." McKenna inquires.

"Four hour fight and back has its quirks. But I'm good." I head over to my usual spot and cross my arms, then locking eyes with Nick.

"Lina used to work in the White House for a little over ten years. She visits from time to time to check in, take over some assignments." Matty informs. "Lina, this is Agent Nick Collins, he's FBI. You might've met him when you were on an assignment back at the wine country for Omar. He'll be joining us on this mission."

"Hi, nice to see you again." Nick holds out his hand.

"Likewise." I shake it.

"Alright, let's get this campfire going." Matty turns to the screen. "Thanks to Agent Collins, we just got a lead on Emil Beck."

"Wait, the Emil Beck?" Jack gapes.

"Yes." Nick pulls it up on the screen.

"Um, obviously, not all of us are caught up. Who is the Emil Beck?" Evan questions.

"Don't worry, Matty, Collins, I'll take it from here." Jack nods and I shake my head, making Nick lowly scoff. "Emil Beck is a government tech nerd turned traitor that she and I have been chasing ever since he stole, get this, 300 gigabytes of classified intel and then just fled the U.S."

"300 gigs?"

"Mm-hmm."

"One could do a lot of damage with that kind of intel."

"Yeah. That's why I spent so many years trying to catch this guy. So has Nick." Matty turns to him and I cross my arms.

"Beck is not a trained spy. But with an IQ of 162, he's a quick study. He's managed to elude capture for years, staying one step ahead of law enforcement until...last night." Nick turns to the screen. "Beck was pulled over in Arkansas for a broken taillight. The officer who made the stop suspected that his ID was fake, but when he tried to bring Beck in, brace yourself." He plays a video and I look away with a clenched jaw as gunshot goes off. "Officer Thomas Porter was killed."

"Porter? As in-"

"No. Declan's father died of a heart attack back in 2011. It's not the same Porter, Jack." McKenna tells Jack and I bite the inside of my cheek.