016. it's been a slice

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

    Driver's Seat: Sniff 'n' The Tears

"I don't know how much longer I can..." Riley squeezes her eyes shut, hanging on the bar.

"You got it." I sit with the others by the fire, roasting a marshmallow.

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do."

"No, Lina, I really don't."

"Do you trust me?"

"With my life."

"Then you got it." I nod and Jack throws a rubber duck at her.

"Hey! That's not fair." Riley opens her eyes.

"I beg to differ. The dare was to see if you could hang for five minutes. Nobody said anything about waterfowl bombardment." Jack throws another duck.

"Hey! Lina!"

"You got it." I check my watch. "And...time." I look back up.

"Oh, yes!" Riley lets go and wrings out her hands.

"Very nice." Jack claps.

"Well, I guess that means it's my turn." She sits down next to me and I sip my water. "Alright, old man, truth or dare?"

"Let's go truth." He sips his soda.

"What happened between you and Matty?" We all say.

"I mean, let's go dare. You guys are killing me. Look...Matty just got mad because I called an audible and skipped out on an exfil. That's it. She gets very surly when you disobey a direct order."

"Jack." Riley raises her eyebrows and I take a bite of my pizza.

"And...despite what she said, I think she was very happy I survived that quicksand."

"C'mon, bro. You know we're not talking about what happened in Uruguay." Bozer speaks up.

"We wanna know what happened between you and Matty when you were working under her at the CIA." Mac inquires.

"And, again, maybe we should go dare. Have you guys seen how much hot sauce I can drink?" Jack tilts his head.

"Look, I was skeptical about getting a new boss, but after San Francisco, I'm Team Matty." McKenna nods.

"Yeah, we all are." Evan agrees. "Except for you."

"The past is the past. Matty and I are all good." Jack assures.

"If you're really all good, then why isn't she here?
Weren't you supposed to invite her?" Bozer tells him.

"Was I?"