005. what's in berlin?

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

               ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

     Catch My Breath: Kelly Clarkson

I make my way downstairs to see Riley sleeping on the couch with her headphones on. I lowly chuckle before pushing some wet hair behind my ear. I then hear something drop from outside and I grab my gun out of my holster. I slowly walk towards the door and I wait a few seconds. I then push open the door and raise my gun.

"Ah—oh, my God." Mac jumps, dropping some wood.

"Serves you right." I retort. "What the hell are you doing?"

"The porch swing is broken. I thought I'd come by and fix it without waking you and Riley. But that didn't last long. Sorry. Can I pick this up, Officer?" He keeps his hands up.

"Just keep your hands where I can see them." I place my gun in my holster and he picks up the wood from the floor.

"If I was someone else, you would've shot me?"

"It's effective." I shrug and he scoffs. "You don't have to do that."

"It's not a problem. Besides, all these years, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Let alone walk in the direction to this house."

"So what changed?" I cross my arms.

"I...I don't know. And I'm trying not to question it."

"Sounds like a plan."

"But a good one?"

"I didn't say that." I shake my head.

"Alright, look, I can't let this go on any longer. That porch swing's been neglected for long enough. And I feel obligated, cause I was one of the first people to swing on it. David always wanted to move it over to that corner, so it would face the sunrise."

"That would make a lot of sense." I nod.

"Well, he never got around to it, so..." Mac trails off and our phones ring.

"It's Riley's parole officer." I take out my phone and look at the text. "I'll wake her up. Her and Wilt have another couples' day yet again. And all the other days after that." I head back inside the house before stopping. "Thank you." I turn back to face him.

"Did Lina Petronis just say thank you?" Mac questions.

"Not for free." I turn back.

  •❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

"I said to him, Billy, if you're gonna raise your fist to another man, you better be prepared to use it." Jack opens a bag of chips in the back as I sit in the driver's seat. "And you know what he did?"

"What ever could it be?" I deadpan.

"Son of a bitch used 'em. Punched me right between the eyes. Almost broke my honker. Friend of mine said he'd never seen so much blood. And his wife worked at the hospital. I got my revenge. You know what I did?"