Chapter 31

HALEY'S POV

"I will be sure to stop by sister Bernice," I said, placing my hand on top of her small dainty hand. I was in the process of leaving church when one of the older ladies stopped me with her grand kids in tow, inviting me over for dinner.

I knew she was trying to set me up with her grandson, but I know she wanted some company as well. "Make sure you bring your best dish honey," she said, patting down her tiny gray curls in her hair before pushing her glasses up. "You know men love it when you can cook."

"Oh I know," I smiled, thinking about Pharaoh. I felt a hand on my back as I looked back seeing one of the guys on the choir smiling hard at me. "Hey, wanted to catch you on your way out Haley," Kevin said as Sister Bernice cheesed at me. "Mmm hmm, you better walk her to her car young man if you trying to get with her," she said as I laughed, dropping my head in shame.

Never go to a small church where everyone notices you the moment you arrive. I was the new girl here, and I was constantly being set up with grandson, after grandson. No matter how many times I tell them I have a boyfriend. "I'll be sure to do that ma'am," Kevin smiled politely back as we watched her walk out with her grand kids.

I looked up at him as we both started cracking up with a shake of our heads. Kevin was a handsome black man. Light brown complexion, low cut hair, perfect teeth, tall, and always polite.

He was a personal trainer by profession, but you would catch him here on Sundays singing with the choir. He was a nice-looking man. Perfect for me if I really thought about it. Yet, then there was Pharaoh...

"Have any clients today?" I asked, maneuvering our way through the packed crowd, trying to leave the church. "You know I do, always working," he said, hand on my lower back, guiding me. I wore my cute black jumpsuit with my long light brown trench coat, and matching boots. Hair trimmed, and down with curls.

I know the congregation would joke around calling Kevin, and me the Barbie, and Ken of the church because we took pride in how we looked, but honestly, I was starting to get uncomfortable with how people kept pinning us together. After saying goodbyes to everyone, we stood outside as I looked around for Pharaoh who was supposed to pick me up, and take me on a lunch date.

"You didn't drive today?" Kevin asked, taking out his keys as he put his coat on. Definitely a cold Sunday morning. Sun was barely out, crackled up leaves rolling up on the pavement as the wind whipped. "Not today, my boyfriend is supposed to take me on a date," I smiled as he dropped his head.

"What was that for?" I laughed. "Bye yall two!" Miss Mavis waved, hand on my back we waved back. Watching her stepped onto the parking lot. "Don't forget Haley, you stopping by tonight!" Sister Bernice called out. "I want you to meet Lee!" "I hear ya," I smiled, waving at her before turning to Kevin, with a dull look on my face as he laughed.

"You see what I have to put up with? I tell people I have a boyfriend, and nobody wants to listen." "You're too beautiful to have a boyfriend, that's why," he joked. "That doesn't even make sense Kevin-."

"I'm saying," he shrugged. "Either men are going to wish they were with you, or try to get with you. You got all these little ol ladies wanting to set you up because you dang near perfect."

"Awww," I cooed as we both started laughing. "That was sweet." "It's the truth," he mumbled, looking at his keys. "So where is this so called boyfriend you keep throwing in our faces?" "Uhh, well," I mumbled, looking around the parking lot. The moment I spotted that Hellcat pull into the lot, I smiled, and pointed. "He's coming."