Chapter 36

Chapter 36:

"He's up!" Jay's aunt calls as soon as she sees me get out of the elevator. I all but drop the coffee I had just recently got from the cafeteria as I make sure I'm hearing her right.

"What, how long, is- is he responsive? How's his pain?" A million question come flying out before I have a chance to filter them in any order that makes sense.

"They just told me as soon as you stepped out, I think his pains ok because the sedatives haven't worn off yet so he's still drowsy but seems to be alright." By now her tears have fallen as I hug her quickly and we head to his room. I don't care if they won't let us in right away or if we can only see him one at a time , we both round the corner together and as his room number comes into view the butterflies erupt in my stomach and my heart starts racing.

Jays Aunt moves the curtain first as I stand back trying to compose myself , but that's when I see his messy hair that always seems to look perfect and that golden tan that makes his eyes pop. His waist down is covered by the hospital blankets, but his built arms make me long to hug him. He's my drug , and my home, he's all I need.

I make my way up his face , and when his eyes meet mine. I lose it, tears starting streaming down my face . All the emotions I've held in, all the pain I've felt and how much I have longed for his eyes to look up at me because I wasn't sure I'd see him staring up at me again come crashing down.

He looks shocked to see me, but I also see the love that's always made me feel safe shining through. His aunt is checking his injuries and asking about his pain, but I drown that out as his eyes never leave me, not to even answer her.

And that's when he says it, that's when he speaks and it's like all the broken pieces have come together again.

"Shay , I'm -" I shake my head before he can respond, before he can say sorry or the words I think he's going to say; I interrupt him.

"I love you." The tears start falling faster now until I can barley make him out anymore. My breath comes out in gasp as I struggle to stand. Lack of sleep has caught up but yet my body is still pumping with adrenaline at the sound of his voice.

I cross the room in a matter of seconds as I fall into his arms, I'm careful of the injuries as I feel his good arm wrap around me, I give out a sigh of relief. I'm home, I'm finally home. I think to myself as his lips touch my forehead.

"I love you." He whispers in my ear, so faint I'm not even sure he said it. But it's those words that calm me, those words that rock me like a lullaby, and those words that make me believe everything will be ok.

Jay ask about his friends that were in the accident with him, and his aunt catches him up on what she knows but it's very little, so I step in and tell him about his friend I ran into in the elevator and how he literally took a bullet for him. He's so grateful that I think he's about to cry , but he blinks them away and nods his head as he looks out the window. He's in such a deep thought that he doesn't even turn when the doctor comes in.

"Well look who's finally up! Hi Jay, I'm Dr. Wells, but you can call me John. Now I know the nurse earlier went over your Injuries , and then your family , so I just came in to let you know that we're going to keep you in the ICU a bit longer just to be safe then sorry, and then we will move you to a general room and go from there. We can discuss when you'll be able to go home once we move you out of here, and then I also want to talk to you about physical therapy for your arm."

Jay tries his best to smile, the look of defeat upon him as he's stuck here longer. But he nods anyway.

"So with that being said, do any of you have any questions?"

"Will he still be on the sedatives?" I ask as I turn my attention to the doctor.

"No, that was only for the medically induced coma . However the medication we are giving him will make him tired , and he gets another dose-" He looks at his watch before continuing. "Actually it's time for his next dosage now, I'll send a nurse in to give it to him as soon as I leave. But I do suggest not to stay long, he needs rest if he wants a quick recovery." He smiles up at me and Jays Aunt. And then pats Jay on the back as he leaves the room, a nurse following right after as he promised.

As much as we don't want to go, we bid our goodbyes and head towards the door. I make my way back to Jay as I kiss him on the cheek.

"I love you and nothing will ever change that, I'll be back tomorrow." I smile at him.

"Shay?"

"Yea?"

"I want you to go home and sleep, you look so drained and you need to shower anyway. You stink ." He laughs and gives me a wink, my old Jay shining through again. And that's all the reassurance I need to know I was right, maybe everything will be ok.

*****

Hey guys!

Long time since I've wrote , thank you to everyone that told me good luck at graduation, it went very well. Still can't believe I'm now a college student, and thank you also for every ones kind words about my dog. You guys are the best, so everyone who is still reading and actually reads my authors notes, if you can just take a minute and tell me where you live . It'd be really cool!

Thanks for reading , love you guys!

Xoxo -