Chapter 20

Chapter 20:

(Jay's P.O.V)

"Rise and Shine ladies!" Our lieutenant yelled as we scurried out of our bunks putting on our uniforms as fast as we can as we all lined up in a row, our hands folded behind our backs and our posture as straight as a board. The boy I was mentoring stood beside me, still looking flustered from waking up in such a jolt. A smile escapes my lips as I take in his appearance, poor kid. Yet that was the wrong think to do since my lieutenant saw and hustled over to me.

"Am I funny to you private?" He yelled, inches from my face. I resisted the urge to wimp off the spit that landed just under my eye.

"No sir!" I yelled back, I was sure the veins in my neck were bulging out by now.

"Well since you feel the need to be so chipper in the morning you can scrub the floors!" The urge to roll my eyes was hard to resist but I composed myself well.

"Yes sir!"

He moved on and I proceeded to brush my teeth and get ready for the training we had today. We all started walking down the dirt road, guns in hand as I looked out for any possible threat.

"Ughh this heat is going to kill me!" James yelled as he readjusted the strap of his gun on his shoulder, he was the new kid I have been mentoring.

"Well I guess it came pretty close, since you passed out on us so quickly you wuss." I laughed rolling my eyes and knocking into him on purpose.

"Hey, this is all new to me might I remind you!" He bit back as the tip of his ears turned red in the process.

"Trust me we all know, I'm surprised you leave me long enough for me to take a piss."

"Ha ha, very funny. I'm sure that's what won you your girl, was that witty humor right there." This time it was his turn to roll his eyes.

"Oh I'm sure that's what won her over, well that and my sexy looks." I give him a wink as we continue to scan this hot dirt area.

"Well of course, golly gee how could I have not put that up with your humor!" He ask, the sarcasm is thick in his voice as he puts his hand up to his cheek acting like he is in a state of shock.

"I don't know, so don't forget it next time we talk about all my amazing traits."

We do our normal tedious routine as we finish up our shift of looking out for danger, and then proceed to do some target practice along with some workout. I had cleaned up the bathroom and scrubbed the floor, my punishment from earlier and then headed out to the mess room to get some lunch with the boys.

"Hey Jay, how's your girl been!" Josh asks running to my side.

"She's doing great man, thanks for asking. How's your wife, is she almost due?"

"That's good to hear, and shes doing good the baby is too, hes got a strong heartbeat. It's hard to believe he will be here in two months."

"Wow man that's soon, how does it feel to be almost a father?"

"Its the most surreal feeling in the world. I can't wait to hold him in my arms and show him the ways of life." He speaks with so much pride that it's radiating off of him and a smile is instantly on my face.

"Do you think that you'll be there to see her give birth?"

"I'm hoping, I think they're all trying everything they can for me to be there for at least a week to help her out. If not though I have skpe all set up and ready."