Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

"Good Morning, I hope everyones morning is off to a good start today. The weather today is-" I groaned as I rolled over to hit off my obnoxious alarm, mornings were never my thing and the fact that the bold red digits on my clock only red 8:30 just made me cringe and groan some more.

My shift at the resturant started at 10:45, but it took twenty minutes to get there so I decided it was best I actually got up and did something productive like take a shower. I pushed away the bedspread that was now sufficating me due to the heat in my room and slipped on my fuzzy slippers. I walked the short amount of way to my kitchen and opened the squeaky cabnet, pulling myself out a coffee mug. I hit the button on the coffee maker and when the red light went on I slipped back into my room and into the bathroom pulling off my clothes and turning on the water.

 After standing under the falling water for awhile so my body could adjust to the new temperature, I did my normal routine and grabbed my white towel wrapping it tightly around my body as I moved my way to my closet in search for some clothes. After settling with some jean shorts and a red and blue flannel shirt, I grabbed my cup of coffee and sat down to blow dry and straighten my hair, along with brushing my teeth and hair and putting on my red vans.

Another 30 minutes later and I was standing outside the diner, waiting to start my shift as I walked inside and to the back, I grabbed my black apron wrapping it around my waist and heading for a table with a family of four waiting patiently.

"Hey guys, ill be your server today. Can I start you off with some drinks? Maybe a highchair for the two little ones you got there." I said gesturing to the adorble blonde hair babies.

"Yes highchairs would be helpful, thank you. Also ill take an ice tea without the lemon, and Honey what would you like?" The lady asked her husbad across the booth.

"Can I get a coke please?" He asked smiling up at me as he bounced one of the babies on his lap.

"Of course, ill bring the highchairs over first and then ill get the drinks, is that alright?"

"Perfect, thanks sweetie." The mom said.

I walked to the side of the resturant and grabbed two wooden highchairs before walking back and setting the two kids in them.

"Alright before I get the drinks, do you guys know what you want?"

"Umm yea, We'll just take two BLT's, and a salad on the side."

"Ok, and what kind of dressing? Italian, Ranch-"

"Ranch please." I took the menus for them and turned around only to stumble into someone.

"Oh my gosh, im so sorry I really should have looked behind me before turning around so suddenly." I bent down to retrieve the fallen menus as I noticed who I ran into.

"Its fine, dont worry about it hun." The boy with the piercing blue eyes said.

"You were in here the other day, right?" I asked walking to the front counter as he followed.

'Yep, back table. At least now you're actually talking to me, I thought you were either mute or had something against me when I asked where the bathrooms were."

"No it wasnt like that at all, im sorry I had a lot on my mind."

"Don't sweat it, im Jay by the way." He smiled looking down at me.

"Shaylee." I smiled back as he shook my hand.

"Well Shaylee, its nice to finally properly meet you. I'll be here for awhile, and I havent been in this town since I was younger, is there anything new here thats worth checking out?"

"Honestly, not really no. Football games are the main attraction."

"Yea, that I remember from back in the day. My friends insist on dragging me to everyone even now. I mean I dont really mind though, football is my game."

"Its a lot of peoples game here, did you grow up here when you were younger?"

"Yea, I stayed with my aunt for awhile, my mom and dad were going through an ugly divorce and they thought it was best to ship me off here until all was sorted out. What I thought was going to be just a summer break thing, happened to turn into more of a permanet stay then i'd like it to be."

"So when did you actually leave here?"

"I think it was about middle school. My dad came and picked me up and I stayed with him until I left."

"Ohh thats cool, I haven't been here that long actually. Maybe about two years."

"How much do you like it?" He questioned leaning up against the counter as his eyes met mine.

"It's not that bad, but im hoping this is only temporary until I finish up college and get enough money to leave somewhere else."

"Make sure that happens then, to many people here have gotten to use to their lives so just decided why not settle down instead of persuing their dreams."

"Then why are you back?" I questioned as my eyebrows scrunched together.

"I'm only here temporary."

"That still doesnt tell me the reason your back, what are you some kind of criminal hiding out here until you form another plan?" I joked.

"No, you can say i'm actually a good guy." He smiled showing his white teeth and dimples.

A baby broke out crying somewhere. which made me turn my head and remember the couple was still waiting for their drinks and food. Great way to go Shaylee, expect that tip to be next to nothing now. As I slapped the palm of my hand lightly to my forehead.

"You ok there blondie?" He chuckled nuddging my arm.

"Yea I just forgot about my table I was waiting on, anyway it was nice to meet you Jay but I got to go get this order in before those people decide to leave."

"Oh yea, sorry I forgot you were working. Don't worry i'll probably be back in tomorrow, we need to figure out something exciting to do in this boring town."

"And what makes you think im just going to go off on an adventure with a guy I hardly know?" I challenged.

"Trust me, im not one to fear. I'm actually the one who protects you, bye Shaylee." He winked before opening the door and walking out.