Chapter 6

Chapter 6:

The drive back was long and bumpy, only the music played softly in the car, bouncing off doors and the roof as it hit my ears.

The sun had set about twenty minutes ago allowing the headlights to turn on and do their job to light the way back home.

"So how about you punch your address into the GPS so I can take you home? Unless your cars at the restaurant?" Jay said cutting in through the music.

My heart dropped, I didn't want him to see the run down placed called home I lived at. No I couldn't!

Then again if he goes to the cafe, he'll find no cars left behind, plus knowing him being a gentleman he probably wouldn't leave until he escorted me safely to the car, and waited till I was inside.

Great, now what?

"Umm it's ok I don't need the GPS I'll just tell you where to go."

"Ok, well I should reach the main road in about five. Did you have a nice time?"

"Yea, I did thanks for taking me out." I smiled hoping he would just stay quiet for my brain to calculate what to do.

He responded back, asking something but I didn't catch it so I just agreed.

"Huh, umm yea sure."

Ok, if I remember correctly there is a vacation house about a block away from the apartments, it's not to big so it will look like I can afford it on my income. Plus it's kept clean so it looks like someone lives in it frequently. Thanks to the gardeners who come twice a week. The elderly couple who occupies it, normally only stays in it or rents it out during Christmas or other busy holidays.

"Hello, Shaylee?" Jay laughed waving his hand in front of my face, making me flinch out of thought.

"Sorry I was thinking about umm something. What did you say?"

"You're a weird one cutie." He laughed before he continued to talk.

"I said do I make a left or right?"

We were finally on the main road, only a few cars were passing us on this silent night.

As I looked out the window I saw the headlights bouncing off the stop sign.

"Right." I mumbled praying this would work out.

As much as I loved guys who are gentlemen I wished he would forget that aspect tonight and not walk me to the door, better yet I hope he'd leave right when I stepped a foot out, that way I could run to my apartment.

My neighborhood isn't the best either. Dear God don't let me get mugged or raped!

The taxi service I normally take to work and back isn't running this late and I don't know any other numbers by heart.

"Shaylee are you sure you're ok?"

"Yea I'm fine Jay, just you know. Tired."

"Hmm, you sure? I mean I've asked you two questions now and you don't answer. You just stare off into space with a worried expression."

"No I'm just trying to remember if I left my purse and keys at the restaurant before we left."

"Shay, they're right on your lap."

Great, I never was a good liar. Maybe they got a book for that, learning to lie for dummies. If so I really need to get that, I mean really I-

"See there you go again blanking out, seriously what's up?"

"Jay I'm fine, I'm just stressed at work and I'm tired. By the way make a left at the light. I'm on the left hand side, third house down."

He mumbled something like ok, as I began to fidget in my seat.

Closing my eyes, I inhaled a deep breathe.

I got this, just put on a fake smile and go with it. I can do this, I can do this, I can-

"We're here."

Oh no, I can't do this!

He put the car in park and turned down the radio till it was completely off, nothing but the sound of my heartbeat pounding in my rib cage and the crashing of my blood swooshing in my ears were heard.

He brought his large hand to my cheek and gently caressed it. His perfect face scrunched up in concern as he studied me closely, too closely.

I felt like he was seeing past me, like he could see beyond my eyes and was seeing me for the first time.

I turned my head sideways not liking the close proximity and grabbing the mental door handle.

I need air, and I need it now.

My feet hit the pavement, as I shut the door tight. I don't think I took ten steps when the sound of another door closed behind me.

"Shay, wait up let me walk you to your door." He yelled as I heard him running to my side.

Curse his manners!

And curse my heart for swelling with pride and happiness at his gesture.

"No it's alright Jay, my neighbors get pretty mad when other people step on the porch this late, it squeaks loud enough when I step on it, let alone another person with me."

"Neighbors? The two houses next to you look close to abandon." He looked from the houses beside mine. Well the one that's suppose to be mine at least.

I looked as well, and sure enough he was right. The houses next to me were not occupied. However the rest of the street across from me were.

"Yea it echos and the people across from me hear it."

Jeez someone please get me that Lying for dummies handbook!

"Hmm alright, well at least let me stand here until I see your safe inside."

"No Jay it's fine really, you can leave now this neighborhood is probably the safest."

It's true this neighborhood was family friendly.

"Doesn't matter, it would make me feel better to see you in." He smiled his adorable smile as he leaned up against the car standing his ground, and as he raised his eyebrows in a way that said "Don't even think about challenging me" I knew he meant business.

So now what?

I turned my back to him and walked up to the door, I rocked back and forth on my heels until the the wood underneath me squeaked. I probably looked more than a retard doing so, but hey a girls got to do what a girls got to do!

"Oh no, I grabbed the wrong pair of keys this morning when I was running late. Ill just have to go through the back. You can leave now, umm bye!"

"Ill walk you back there."

"NO!! I mean, umm no it's ok with your tall muscular figure people will probably think we're breaking in." I laughed awkwardly.

"Hmm I guess that true, ok Ill stay here and when your inside you can just open the front door so I know you're in safely."

Oh my God, does this guy ever give up!

"No when I get in I'm going straight to bed, ill txt you when I'm inside though how about that?"

"Alright I guess, Night Shay. See you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" I questioned confused.

"Yea you said in the car we can hang out tomorrow."

Man I was spacing out, I don't remember that.

"Oh yea, see I'm so tired I forgot. Alright night Jay."

"Ill pick you up here around two, since your boss said you can have the day off!"

And that was the last I heard before he got in his car and drove off, fading into the darkness.

I stayed there for about five minutes just in case, before pulling out my dinosaur old phone, texting Jay and telling him I was inside.

I then turned and walked down the street for about an hour until I saw the familiar flicking street lamp outside the complex, making reality hit me hard.

This was my home, this was my life, and this is all I'd amount to.

**************************

A/N: Hope you all had a good weekend so far! Dont forget to Vote!

Xoxo- Midnight_Writer97 <3