Chapter 24

Chapter 24:

I watch him closely as his eyes shine with the same love that I feel radiating off of me, a big smile takes over his face as he leans his forehead against mine, and lets out a deep breathe.

"You are so amazing, do you know that Shaylee? I was going to tell you as well, but I never found the right opportunity, how do I find the right words to tell the beautiful girl in front of me who I call mine that i've literally been in love with her since the first day we stumbled into one another? I am crazy in love with you as well." With the words i've been dying to hear for so long escaping his lips, a new kind of thrill washes over me. He captures his lips to mine and my body instantly relaxes. I pull away too soon, but I don't want to be rude and make out on their couch. 

"Hey Private are you going to help flip these burgers or what?" Josh laughs from the backyard as I focus my attention to the sliding glass door that's open.

"I guess that's your Que, Private." I wink as he kisses me quick and leans in to whisper in my ear.

"I like when you call me that, see you in a bit." I watch as he walks to the door and turns around." Hey Shay? I love you."

A grin is plastered on my face at the new three words, I feel lighter and all giddy inside. He goes back outside and yells something to Josh as I watch the white curtains go up with the wind a bit from him hurrying pass them.

"Well aren't you two too cute." Natalie says as I jump at her voice to see her leaning up against the door-frame.

"So you heard I see." I smile at her as she nods her head and takes the three stairs that descend into the living room.

"Indeed I did, it takes me back to the night I told Josh I loved him."

"You said it to him first too?"

"Oh yea, well kind of. He took me out to this fancy restaurant and he was a nervous wreck the whole night, I kind of caught on of what he was doing and went along with it. By the end of the night he was too nervous to say a word so I leaned over and said, Don't worry Josh, I love you too." Her eyes were reliving the memory before she settled back on me. "And here we are now with a son and a home, it was hard with him being away but we made it work."

"That's really cute, you can tell by the way he looks at you that he's truly in love."

"It's funny, that's exactly what I told Josh when you guys stepped out of the car and he looked back at you."

"Really?" Disbelief was thick in my voice, I mean I knew Jay loved me but I always wondered if other people noticed.

"Very much so, I don't know if you notice or you've just become use to his gaze but when you aren't looking he will sometimes look over at you and smile to himself, even if he's in the middle of something. It's quite the sight."

A warm feeling sends its way down my body, that is pretty cute. A mixture between a laugh and a smile comes out as I look over at her.

"Want to go out there and make sure they aren't burning down the backyard? Josh get's a little too carried away with the lighter fluid." She ask as he grabs the baby monitor and clips it onto her jeans.

We stand up and make our way out the back, the sun is just starting to set and I look up to admire the way the pinks and reds all swirl together.

The guys are horsing around as Josh throws a raw patty at Jay and we all watch it stick to his face. Natalie tries her best to scold Josh but ends up laughing along with me as some of it falls in Jay's mouth and he begins to gag at the horrible taste. When dinner is all ready we sit outside and make the burgers to our taste. I load mine with pickles because seriously, who doesn't love them?! And Jay loads his with stuff until I can't tell what his dinner is suppose to be. I scrunch up my nose in disgust and when he looks over at me he makes an over exaggerated attempt to take the biggest bite in my face as I push him away and enjoy my much cleaner dinner.

After dinner, I help clean up with Natalie as Jay and Josh make a small fire outside. There's a nice breeze outside mixing with the heat of the fire, the combination of the two is nice and I lean farther back into Jay as I sit in between his leg and against his chest, Natalie doing the same. They tell stories about the military life and some of the good times they've had. Natalie has to get up a few time's due to the baby crying but Josh kisses her cheek this time and tells her to relax as he gets up and goes to care for his son.

"So Jay, how long do you have until you're out for good?" Natalie ask as she tightens Josh's jacket more around her small frame.

"Not too long at all, which is relieving as it is weird to think about."

"Yea I know that's how Josh feels too, he loves fighting for his country but he doesn't want to miss anything with our son now that he is here."

"I don't blame him, I would be doing the same. It's just odd because the military life has been my life for what seems like forever and after my term is up it will be weird."

"Yea, it will be. I'm just going off of Josh's experience. Sometimes he will wake up with nightmares of reliving the things he saw and went through and it's so heartbreaking to watch. I'm just trying to warn you now,  if you've seen a lot Jay it may be hard to cope at first once you're back."

"I know, i'm a little worried about that part. I sometimes will wake up with them in the middle of the night and have to go out for a walk just to clear my head and remind myself i'm home."

"You never told me they were that bad." I find my voice as I crane my neck to look up at him.

"I've never wanted to worry you, but i'm fine baby don't worry about me." He kisses my forehead lightly as he smiles, the feeling doesn't sit well with me.

Josh comes back a little bit later but Jay and I are too tired from the drive so they lead us to the guest room, good nights are exchanged as I change into my PJ's and brush my teeth with Jay along me.

We climb into bed and he wraps his arms around my waist.

"Goodnight babe, I love you." The smile I hear from him as those three words are dropped from his lips makes me smile too as I kiss him good night.

"I love you too." Yet I can't push the idea of him sleeping in terror over nightmares from my mind, I wish he would be more open. I know it's hard for him, but the love I have for him is strong, I don't want him to be in pain. This is something we need to discuss, and soon.