Chapter 37

Chapter 37

"Ugh it feels so good to be back home!" Jay exclaims as he moves his way around his house.

"I bet, I left everything the same. Except I did do your laundry you had piling up and cleaned a bit for you.

"Thank you sweetheart but you didn't have to do that." He looks at me from across the living, a small smile pulling at his full lips.

It has been about two months since Jay was released from the hospital, he stayed at his Aunts since it was best for him not to travel, and he attended a near by physical therapy center. His arm was still in a sling due to recent surgery but it looked like he would regain full movement in it again. I drove back and forth every weekend to go see him, as I maintained my job back at the diner. It was nice to get back to how life was before the accident, but Jay and I hadn't had a real chance to talk about where we stood.

"Can I get you anything before I leave?" It was different being alone together , without the distraction of Jays aunt to lighten the mood , the tension was clear.

"No but thank you, really you've done enough." He crossed the room and before I knew it, his one good arm had wrapped around me, pulling me tight to his chest. His smell sent adrenaline coursing thorough my body. Every nerve weakening to his touch.

"I'll see you tonight, yea?" I tried my best to smile up at him, but not being together has really taken its toll.

"Why yes you will beautiful." He kissed the top of my head as I clenched my keys tighter in my hand.

"Oh there's some dinner in the fridge you can warm up, I made it just before you came home. And there's your favorite chocolate cake in the microwave. Welcome home Jay, I'm glad you're back safe and sound."

"Thank you Shay, for all you've done for me. I didn't mean to scare you and put you through hell like I did, but just know I really appreciate it."

"No need to thank me, I know you would of done the same for me. I'm just glad to see you standing before me. I'll stop by tonight after my shift, call me if you need anything." With that he gave me a curt nod, as I turned and walked out the door. I had a half a day shift at the diner. It was really the only thing that took my mind some what off of Jake, but let's face it. I worried about him constantly. You can't expect to go back to being normal when the person you love almost died.

. . . .

"Take care have a nice day." I bid a goodbye to the customers I had served as I rung up the next at the cash register.

I had just about a half hour before my shift was finished, the day was slow so I had too much thinking time on my hands about Jay. I constantly wondered if he was ok, or what he was doing.

After ringing up the few other customers in line , I refilled some cups and then started serving plates again.

"Which one ordered the steak again?" My mind was such a mess and on overload I couldn't even get my orders right.

"I did." I set the plate down without turning my head to look at the person. All I wanted was to finish up these last few minutes I had left.

"Thank you , do you have any A1 by any chance." The voice asked again, I looked up to see pale grey blue eyes. He had blonde hair that was shaved on the sides and was pulled up in the front.

"Yes, anything else I can get you guys?" He had a few friends with him that didn't pay much attention to anything but the food.

"I think that will do it, Shaylee." He smiled at me as he read my name tag.

"Ok I'll be right back." Retrieving what he asked , I looked at the clock as I walked back to the table. I had just five minutes left.

"So when does your shift end?" The grey eyes stranger asked as I set the bottle on the table.

"Not soon enough."

"You still got awhile left?" He made small talk as I watched him fill his plate with the sauce.

"No just a few more minutes, jeez you put a lot on there. Planning to drink it?" I cringed as he dashed some on his potatoes.

"Have you had this stuff before it's amazing, I can literally put it on anything."

"I can sure see that."

"I'm Nathan by the way."

"Nice to meet you Nathan, I'm Shaylee. But you seemed to already beat me to it when you read my name tag."

"Well I had to know who the beautiful girl was." He smiled at me as his friends rolled there eyes at his comments, one of them asked him if that was the best he got as a small blush creeped up my cheeks.

"Thank you, well I have to go clean up some tables but if you need anything just call me over." I didn't wait for them to respond as I grabbed a black square bucket and walked over to some nearby tables that had yet to be cleaned. Normally I'd be leaving right now but I have to wait till they left to do so. They were at least my last customers of the night. Since they were all guys, I assumed they'd eat fairly quickly. I bussed some more tables as the minutes ticked by.

"Hey Shaylee!" I turned my attention to the person who called my name to see Nathan waving me over. I had cleared off the tables so I made my way over.

"Can we get the check please?" He ask sweetly as I retrieve it from my apron and set it face down on the table.

"Thank you and this is for you as well." He hands me a piece of paper and I flip it over to see his number and name scribbled across it. I'm about to object before Nancy calls for me a worried expression is etched on her face.

I shove the paper in my pocket as I cross the room in seconds.

"Shaylee, Jays neighbor called, he's going out of control. They keep trying to make him open the door but it's locked. They think he's having a PTSD episode."

"He's never had one though, no medication has been prescribed to him." My heart races as I can't wrap my head around it.

"I don't know but it's best you go."

I'm out the door and in my car before the door of the restaurant closes. I'm dialing Jays Aunt as I rush through a stop sign.

"Hello?" She picks up on the fourth ring.

"Hey it's Shaylee, I was at work and Jays neighbor called they think he's having an episode. Did he have this at your house?

"Didn't he tell you? He has PTSD. He was going to therapy here during the week for it, and he was prescribed medication. Is he ok? Should I come down?"

"No let me see how bad it is. Ill call you later, but don't freak if you don't hear from me." With that I hung up and rushed my way to get home.

********
A/N:

So thank you for everyone's support I loved reading all your comments and where you all live, it's incredible where everyone's at. I'm in California :)