Chapter One- Knight in Shining Armour

"Come on little man, let's get you to school." I rubbed the top of my little brothers head messing up his perfectly styled hair in doing so.

"Dylan." He whined, running over to the mirror to fix his hair. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Glenn." I mimicked in his voice. He pulled a face at me and continued to adjust his hair until it was perfect.

For an eleven year old my brother was definitely ahead of his time. I suppose with me as his sister he had no choice to be a lot older. "Are you ready yet?" I asked him, shaking my keys, reminding him that I was the one taking him to school this morning.

"I'm ready, let's go." He grabbed his backpack and rushed past me, outside to my car.

"We're leaving mum." I called up the stairs. I heard the distinct sound of someone moving upstairs and them my mums face appeared at the top of the stairs.

"Tell Glenn I love him and to have a good day at school. What time will you be back?" the way she said you broke my heart, it was so cold almost as if I meant nothing to her, as if I wasn't her only daughter.

"I'll be back at dinner." I responded biting my tongue to stop myself from making a comment I know I would regret, instead I gave her the answer she wanted to hear.

"Okay, good. Try not to embarrass your brother," I bite down on the inside of my cheek to stop myself from reacting to that statement. "And Dylan."

"Yes." I said, silently praying that she said what I so desperately wanted to hear, like I did everyday.

"Never-mind." She shook her head and disappeared from sight. I sighed as I realised I was being stupid, I would never hear this three words from her mouth directed at me ever again.

I left the house, checking that I had everything I would need for the day- phone, purse, iPod and my backpack. Then I climbed into my car, joining Glenn who, as usual, was eager to get to school.

"Mum said to tell you that she loves you and that she hopes you have a nice day at school." I told him, putting the car into reverse and driving out of the driveway to his school.

"Okay did she tell you too?" He asked. I knew what he meant but I didn't want to say it out-loud.

"Well I'm not going to school am I now." I joke, forcing a laugh.

"Dylan you know what I mean." He said in that serious voice of his. I sighed, something I did a little too often now.

"Little man how many times have I told you not to be so serious or to worry about me, you're too young." I laughed and went to ruffle his hair but he stopped me.

"I know how they treat you Dylan." He looked up at me with those big brown eyes of his making me feel bad for being the reason he had to grow up so fast.