Chapter Twenty- Bed Rest

I'm back for good now guys, and I plan to start uploading on a regular basis... once a week? Perhaps every Friday? Either way I hope you enjoy this chapter, things are about to get a lot more heated... In more ways than one! - Hannah x

Laying on my bed I flicked through one of my text books, coping notes into my notebook, not really paying attention to what it was I was actually writing. Biology wasn't my strongest topic, but I knew if I put in the extra effort I could get a decent enough grade in the subject. Hearing the vibration of my phone, I grabbed it quickly, thankful for the distraction from the monotony of note taking.

'Is Reu gonna be home anytime soon? Xx'

I stared at Zoe's message, trying to decide if it was a mistake or if my phone was playing up and I was receiving this message late. But I was pretty certain that neither was the case. Reuben had left nearly four hours ago, after claiming his mum desperately needed him home.

Deciding to text Zoe back I told her that her brother had left quite a while ago, and that h may have just been delayed on his way home. An explanation, I myself didn't believe.

After a few minutes with still no response from Zoe, I decided to continue taking notes. My sense of worry was starting to increase however, it was unlike Reuben to not speak to his sister like this. Deciding I had no other choice, I dialled Zoe's number.

"Hey Dyl, everything okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine, just checking to see if Reuben was back yet." My stomach was turning, and I could feel my heart in my throat, I was panicking for some unknown reason, but my gut instinct was telling me something was wrong.

"No not yet, he told me he'd be home no later than four." Looking at my clock I saw it was nearly ten past five. "I was just wondering if your date ran longer?"

I was starting to feel confused now. Reuben had obviously told his sister that we were on a date until around four, when the truth was he hadn't been with me for hours. I was conflicted over whether or not to tell her the truth. On the one hand I wanted to keep Reuben's trust, but on the other I was feeling overwhelmingly worried about him.

With all my strength I attended to swallow, even with the huge lump in my throat. "He left here four hours ago Zo."

My response was met by silence. I could tell that she was taking this new information in, and I wasn't sure how well she was taking it.

"I knew something was wrong." Her whispered response caught me off guard, "I've tried calling him and it keeps going to voicemail."

I could hear the panic in her voice, she was staring to imagine the worst case scenario. A scenario, that I too, had thought about.

"I'm sure he's fine Zo." I told her, trying to calm her down before she got herself worked up. We needed to keep calm, we had no idea what was going on that moment. Where Reuben was or what he was doing, but we could do our best to find out.

"I'm on my way to yours now, and then we can keep calling him and even take a drive around the block to see if we can find him."

Hearing what I believed to be the faint sound of Zoe saying okay, I told her that I'd be there soon and hung up the phone, trying not to let myself panic as I rushed to get ready.

Zoe sat in complete silence as we drove around without any clear direction. She was glued to her phone has she tried calling her brother over and over again. We'd been searching for him for the best part of an hour without any luck, and panic had set deeply in. We were both more worried than we cared to admit.