Chapter Four- Reuben Stiles and an Awkward Conversation

I couldn't take my eyes away from her chocolate brown ones. I had to say something, it didn't look like Phoenix, sorry, Miss Reed, was going to.

"I'm sorry I'm late Miss I was with the head teacher." I tried my best to keep my voice level, whether or not I succeeded in doing so I'm not sure. Phoenix blinked quickly, trying to regain her composure.

"Okay, umm, take your seat." I heard her clear her throat as I made my way to the only available seat at the back of the room next to a guy I had never seen before. I took my seat, throwing my backpack down by the table leg and laid my head down on the table. I groaned quietly, and gently banged my head on the table. Just my luck! The girl I like happens to be my teacher, what are the odds? It's like some dumb story you read, except this story is never going to have a happy ending. I'm doomed, my life is officially over.

"Dylan Foster.'" I heard my name being called, and looked up to meet Phoenix's glare.

"Yes Miss." I replied, the look she was giving me told me she was pissed. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. As she continued to call out the register she kept glancing in my direction. When she was done she stood back up from her desk.

"Okay class. Your task is on the board, you have fifteen minutes." The 'task' was to, as a class, come up with ten questions we wanted to know about Miss Reed, and fifteen questions we wanted to know about any moment in History. I laughed to myself as the whole class moved themselves and their desks so that they were all next to one another in a sort of circle, what a waste of time.

Five minutes into the lesson and boredom was already sinking in as I grabbed my notebook from my backpack and started to doodle. I was in the middle of drawing a cute cartoon dog when Phoenix's voice brought me out of my little moment. "Are you two just going to sit there?" Huh, two? I turned around and saw the new guy watching me. He grinned at me, when he saw I had noticed him.

"No Miss." He responded, flashing her a toothy smile. He got up and moved his chair so that he was just a little distance from the others but looked like he was participating. I followed suit and moved my chair to sit next to him, when Phoenix encouraged me to move with a nod of her head.

"So you're the famous Dylan Foster." The new guy said to me, when I sat down. He smiled at me and held out his hand.

I looked down at his hand, but didn't take it, then brought my eyes up to stare straight-forward, hopefully he would ignore me if I answered him. "Yeah that's me." I didn't care that a note of bitterness came out in my voice. He was bound to be just like the rest, it was likely that Kim had even set him up to this.

Talk of the devil. Kim turned around to face the two of us, a smirk on her lips. "I wouldn't bother with her Reuben." She smiled a flirtatious smile at him, and turned to smirk at me, "The lesbo's got a bit of a an attitude problem."

I opened my mouth to respond to her, but Reuben beat me to it, "Thanks for the warning, but I wasn't asking for your opinion." He said politely giving her a fake smile, and she responded with a 'humph' and turned back around. I laughed and turned my attention back to Reuben. "Let's start again. Hi, I'm Reuben Stiles." He held out his hand and this time I took it.

"Nice to meet you Reuben. Dylan Foster." He smiled at me again, and this time I found myself smiling back and actually looking at him. He would definitely be considered good looking with light brown hair and dark blue eyes, even sitting down I could tell he was tall. He was lean, not skinny and had a dazzling smile, no wonder Kim was trying to flirt with him.

"Nice to meet you too." We didn't get to talk anymore after that as Phoenix called for our attention and the questioning began. They started off asking her questions about the subject before they asked her questions about herself, obvious questions at that, 'where was she from', 'why was she starting a week later than everyone else'. I zoned out for most of the questions, finishing of my doodle. I, somehow, convinced myself that if I ignored her then she would ignore me. But the final questioned caught my attention immediately. One of the popular boys raised his hand and asked,