Chapter Twenty Four- Game Over

There are some sights in this world that just make you stop and stare, wondering if you're dreaming or if you're just seeing things. This happened to be just one of those sights.

The bed was littered with bright red rose petals, candles had been lit and scattered around the room, providing just enough light to see how beautiful the room looked.

"You took so long," Phoenix told me, her voice so soft it was almost a whisper, as she walked over to meet me, "I thought I'd make the room look nice for you."

Phoenix reached me, and held out her hand, waiting for me to accept her invitation. As soon as she neared me, my eyes were on her, all of her. Her hair was tied up in a messy bun, and long gone were most of her clothes, as she stood there in just her underwear.

"Phoenix..." I started, but soon found myself unable to find the right words to express all the thoughts that I was currently having.

"We don't have to do anything." Phoenix attempted to reassure me, noticing my struggle. With a gentle touch, she took hold of my hand and began to lead me to her bed.

"Phoenix I can't."

Phoenix stopped guiding me, but didn't let go of my hand. Instead she turned to face me, a small smile painted on her beautiful lips.

"There's no pressure Dyl, I promise. We can just lie in bed and talk, it doesn't have to be anything more." When I still hadn't responded, Phoenix leant over and grabbed a jumper from the pile of clothes on the chair. "I'm sorry if this was too much, I just thought-"

"It's not you." I cut her off, finally finding my voice, not wanting her to blame herself, when she hadn't done anything wrong. "It's Reuben, he needs me."

It was almost as if I had raised my hand and slapped Phoenix, she didn't just look hurt, she looked offended, and I had caused that. I hadn't meant for those words to slip out, but they were still the worst choice.

Phoenix stood for a few moments in silence, all the emotion fading from her face. I didn't need the power to read minds to know that she was thinking about the nicest way she could to tell me to get out of her house. I couldn't blame her, not really, I was being the biggest knob, but I needed space, to think and sort things out.

"Is he hurt?"

"No."

"Is he injured in anyway at all?"

"No."

"Is he alone?"

"Well no but-"

"Then why does he need you?"

She had a very valid point. Reuben didn't need me, and I shouldn't have told her that. Everything felt like it was just going wrong, I couldn't seem to do or say anything that was right.

"He doesn't-"

"Then why tell me that he does?"

"I'm sorry Phoenix."

With a sigh, Phoenix shook her head, and, realising that she had yet to do so, she let go of my hand and pulled the jumper she had in her hand over her head, moving away from me so that she could perch on the bed.

"If you didn't want to spend the night, you could have just said. You didn't have to make up some bullshit excuse."

"Of course I wanted to spend the night Phoenix. It's just complicated."

"Well then, talk to me," she said almost begging, "that's how an adult relationship functions, Dylan. We have to talk to each other."

I nodded in complete agreement, knowing that she was right. Communication had always been our biggest issue, and was usually the cause of any fight we had. Most of the time it was my lack of communication that caused them, and I really had to try better.