Chapter Twelve- Worst Nightmare

---------------------------------------

Dylan's P.O.V

---------------------------------------

Leaning my head against the window of Phoenix's car, I closed my eyes, feeling drowsy and sore all over, particularly my head from where I had hit it, when I passed out. With exhaustion kicking in I started to think solely about Phoenix and how amazing it was of her to help me, Reuben and Zoe last night.

"You taking me back home?" I asked her, regretting it immediately when I realised that home was the only place she could take me.

"Actually, I thought it would be best you come back to mine just for a few hours."

Opening my eyes, I stared at Phoenix, receiving not even a glance in response from her. Maybe I hadn't heard her right, or maybe hitting my head last night had given me a concussion and I wasn't thinking straight and imagining things.

Swallowing, I closed my eyes as I asked her to repeat what she had said, not wanting to see her if I had misheard her. But from the way I heard her sigh, I knew I hadn't heard her wrong.

"I know I shouldn't suggest such a thing, but you need to be taken care of and from what it sounds like your parents wouldn't do that. So I'm making the best decision for you as your teacher."

Holding in a sarcastic comment about my parents and how they probably ignored the phone when Reuben tried to call them last night. Though my mum had started treating me better since Reuben and I had been a couple, my dad had treated me no differently, not believing the lie we told.

"And what's that?" I asked her, referring to her making the best decision as my teacher.

Sighing once more, as if this was a huge hassle for her, she looked me over quickly before turning her attention back to the road. "For me to keep an eye on you until I feel like your well enough to look after yourself."

"I don't need you to babysit me Phoenix." I told her, feeling angry with her for making it sound like she had no choice in the matter but to look after me. I didn't need looking after, I had done a good job of looking after myself for the last four years, I didn't need her or anyone else looking after me now.

"Don't you?" Phoenix asked me, sounding sceptical, only angering me more.

Facing away from her, and looking out of the window, I focused on the houses we were driving past as I muttered, just loud enough for her to hear, "I'm not a child."

"Really?" She asked me, her sarcastic tone, making me clench my jaw. "Because all you have done lately is act like one. I mean last night, going to a club with two people who are both underage, and then there's using Reuben to make me jealous."

Scoffing at her assumption, I turned back to face, crossing my arms over my chest. "Don't flatter yourself Phoenix." She turned her head, just to glare at me, my words and my attitude, before her attention was back on the road. Ignoring her glare, I continued, "I pretended to date Rueben because it was best for Glenn, it's stopped most of his bullying, stopped him from getting into fights. He comes first to me."

Closing my eyes, I leant back into the chair, thinking about my brother, and how just by my mum's non stop gossiping about my 'relationship' with Reuben had stopped Glenn from being involved in fights to defend my honour.

"I'm sorry Dylan." Phoenix whispered, her words just loud enough for me to hear.

Shaking my head at her, it took me a few minutes to respond to her. I didn't want her apologies, right now I didn't want anything from her and I didn't want to be anywhere near her. "Don't be just take me home"