Chapter Twenty Three- Fireworks (Part Two)

Hey guys, I know it's been forever, but hopefully this chapter will make up for it. I have no excuses to make, the truth is that my health has been slowly declining for the last couple of months, and I've been really struggling. However, I have officially finished uni, and am graduating in September! So once I sort out my health, I will have all the free time in the world to write. Thank you for always putting up with my crap! Tell me what you think about this chapter, and where you want to see this story go, I might just take your advice! - Hannah x

The park was quieter than I had imagined it was going to be, but there was something rather beautiful about the quietness. Phoenix and I were able to wander around and enjoy all that was available. We took turns trying to throw hoops around miscellaneous items, to win a little teddy bear, and laughed at one another as we failed to hook a fish with a stick with the smallest hook on the end of it.

"Come on Dyl, you can do this." Phoenix encouraged me, giving my shoulders a gentle squeeze as she stood behind me, letting me go first.

"You're putting pressure on me." I told her, wanting nothing more than to win her a stupid teddy bear that I could have probably brought for less money than the amount I had spent on all the games trying to win one.

Phoenix let out a chuckle, and kissed the back of my head before moving away from me, giving me the space to freely move, so that I could focus better.

Staring at the six empty cans in front of me, I focused on the best way to knock them down with the three bean bags I had in my hands. I had always been sceptical of fair games, certain that they were rigged, and if they weren't then I just so happened to be the worst at them.

But I was determined to finally win something for once so that I could give it to Phoenix, as something to remember this night by. It was corny, and so unlike me, but it was something I wanted more than anything right now.

With a great deal of determination, I aimed where I believed to be the best spot, and threw the first bean bag, letting out a squeal of excitement when I was able to knock down five of the cans, leaving just one.

"You can do this."

Turning to smile at Phoenix, my confidence grew, I was so close to actually doing it, I might just do it. Focusing all my attention on the last can, I threw the second bean bag, letting out a series of expletives as it hit the can but didn't knock it off.

I only had one more chance and I certainly wasn't prepared to screw it up now. With a deep breath, I did my best to calm down, and threw the bean bag. Watching in a state of awe as it missed the can completely.

"Well," I turned and faced Phoenix, who had a small smile on her face, "that was shit."

Phoenix laughed and wrapped her arms around me, pulling me into her, her warm breath feeling nice against my cold face.

"You can have another go if you'd like."

I left the warmth and comfort of Phoenix's arms to face the young girl in charge of the game. She smiled at me, and held out her hand to offer me another bean bag.

"Are you sure?" I asked her, feeling guilty for breaking the rules.

"I'm sure, just try to hit it this time." She laughed, and moved away from the cans I was originally aiming at.

Knowing that I really couldn't lose this time, I sent a silent prayer to whoever might have been listening, carnival gods or whoever. Holding my breath I threw the last bag, attempting to close my eyes before it hit the can...