Chapter Twenty One- Time to Break Up

It's Friday (technically), so I'm keeping my word with a new chapter! The next one will be uploaded next Friday! - Hannah x

It had been just over a week since Rueben's 'fight'. He was still insisting that he had been involved in a fight between him and a few guys over a disagreement, and the other guys looked a lot worse.

In that time, halloween had come and passed. The three of us, Reuben, Zoe and me, had decided to spend the evening together watching crappy movies and eating cheap crappy sweets and chocolate. Phoenix was completely understanding, she agreed that Rueben needed a little company, but we had also agreed to spend fireworks night together, which just so happened to be tonight.

"But you don't get into fights Reu," Zoe seemed to still be on a mission to get Reuben to admit the truth, while I had given up several days ago, realising that there was no way to break him, "I'm the one who fights the people you wont."

"Give it up Zo. I'm really bored of discussing it."

Reuben rolled his eyes at his sister, sick of his sisters never ending questions and accusations. The twins father had insisted that Reuben attended school on Tuesday, seeing as his injuries weren't that severe, and ever since, Zoe had been bombarding him with question after question, even when we were trying to eat lunch.

"Fine," Zoe reluctantly agreed to let the subject drop, picking at her food as she tried her best to think of something else to discuss, "we'll talk about how Dylan's lover got asked out to tonight's fireworks display, yesterday."

"What?" I asked Zoe, nearly choking on my food, not quite certain that I had heard what she said. She couldn't possibly be talking about Phoenix. It was true that Zoe insisted on teasing me about my so called crush on Phoenix by calling her my lover, but there was no chance Phoenix had been asked out yesterday. I had spent the night with her last night, and if it was true then she would have told me about it, surely.

Zoe nodded her head as she took a bite of her lunch, "Yeah Mr. Clyne asked her out, and apparently she said yes, the pair are always together after all."

Looking over at Reuben, I could see he looked as confused as I felt, his brow was crinkled and he was frowning deeply.

"Aww Dyl, don't looks so upset," Zoe told me, giving my arm a sympathetic pat, "I'm sure it wont last and you can go back to living out your fantasies in your head." Zoe teased, but I was in no mood to be joking around. If what Zoe said was the truth, then not only had Phoenix chosen not to tell me, she had agreed to go on a date with some guy.

Realising that I was finished with my lunch and finished with this conversation, I stood up from the table and slung my bag over my shoulder, picking up the remnants of my lunch to chuck it into the bin as I left.

"I'll see you guys later, I'm gonna get some fresh air before class." I gave the twins no time to respond as I left the canteen in a hurry, not wanting to hear anything else Zoe had to say.

I knew that Zoe meant no harm, and I honestly wasn't angry at her, or the situation in all honesty. I was just over thinking far too much. I was still worried about Reuben and what had actually happened to him. My worst fears were almost confirmed when Kim herself had said the thoughts I had been thinking, since the hospital trip, out loud on Tuesday.

She had cornered me after class just as lunch started, she was alone this time however, her little friends had disappeared to let Kim fight her own battles. It was refreshing, but I still didn't fancy dealing with Kim in any capacity. The real reason she had done it was so that she could let me know that they all thought Reuben had been beaten because he was still pretending to date me. She told me so, in far more words, and with stronger language and several insults. Though she was right, I had been selfishly using Rueben to make myself look better, forgetting that he was having to deal with the fact people were giving him abuse also. Kim had also managed to remind that she knew Rueben and I were faking it, despite still not having told anyone, but perhaps it was because no one believed it anyway, especially since we had cooled it down a lot at school. Regardless her words kept me thinking, and as much as I had tried to brush off Kim telling me that it was my fault Reuben was attacked, I couldn't help but agree with her. No matter what Reuben said, and no matter how much he protested I still blamed myself. That guilt combined with the news that Phoenix had possibly been asked out was starting to really get to me.