Chapter Twenty Two- Fireworks (Part One)

Hey guys, I'm sorry it took longer than I said to post... I've had a hell of a week... it's unedited but I will go back and edit it in time, hope you guys enjoy! -Hannah x

"I am sorry I didn't tell you guys."

It had been thirty minutes since I had suggested to Rueben that we break up, he had taken it pretty well, all things considered. He had agreed it was for the best and had also agreed that if he was ever going to do something like that again, he would tell them first. Reuben had also managed to apologise at least ten times since then.

"We know, Reu. We forgive you, so stop staying sorry." I told him, as I continued to read, and reread the message Phoenix had sent me while we were talking to Reuben. I still hadn't found the right words to send her a response.

Realising that Reuben, who was still sitting in the chair, had seen Phoenix after I had left, might be able to tell me how she was about everything. I felt bad for leaving her and walking out, but I just couldn't sit there for two hours and pretend everything was okay.

"Did Miss Reed saying anything to you about the fact I bunked History?"

"You hoping she missed your pretty face?" Zoe teased me, giving my legs, both of which were in her lap, a gentle poke as she let out a laugh.

"You know what, Zo?" I looked over at Zoe, who was giving me her usual charming smile, reminding me that she could be just as charming, if not more so, as her brother. "I really am hoping just that. That she couldn't cope without me in the room."

I was only joking with Zoe, and even as she laughed, part of me felt like I was somewhat being truthful. I would love for Phoenix to have missed me, no matter the context, or the situation. I had to admit I liked the idea of her missing seeing my face in the classroom.

"She did ask me if you were okay and if there was a reason you were missing the class." I could tell from Reuben's delay, and the time it took for him to find the correct words that he had slightly changed what Phoenix had asked him, in order to make it sound more platonic.

I could tell from Rueben's response that I was being stupid. Phoenix deserved more than just me walking out, and not responding to her texts. Deciding just to bite the bullet, I messaged Phoenix asking to meet her early for food before we went out. It wasn't long before Phoenix responded, telling me to come over whenever.

The twins were busy discussing tonight's family night outing to watch the fireworks, they wouldn't miss me too much if I left now, and raced home to get ready to go over to Phoenix's.

"I think I'm gonna head home guys, I fancy a movie night." I stood up, stretching my limbs as I did so.

"You could always come with us to watch the fireworks?" Zoe offered, for what felt like the one hundredth time this week. I think she felt bad about me spending my night on my own, seeing as my mum and dad were taking Glenn out to some fancy fireworks, that were supposed to be much better than the town park ones.

"Thank you Zo, but I would rather just be by myself." I told her, and grabbed my bag, not wanting to spend any extra time arguing with her about the matter. "I'll see you Monday though."

We said our goodbyes, and I didn't hesitate as I made my way home, wanting to get ready as soon as I possibly could so that I could see Phoenix as soon as I could.

Taking no time whatsoever to shower and get myself ready, I was just preparing to leave my house when I heard my name being called downstairs. It was my mother beckoning me to come down and talk to her Glenn.