Chapter Twenty Nine- Six Months

"Hey, what's going on gorgeous?" The worry was evident in my voice, as I stepped into her house. I had been panicking all the way here, thinking of everything from the worst to the completely insane.

Realising that Phoenix was desperate to talk to me, I had made an excuse to Zoe, telling her that Glenn was sick and I had to leave right then. It was obvious that she was upset, but in her typical way she had been supportive and offered me anything I needed and told me to go straight away.

Before I had even had a chance to close the front door properly, Phoenix pounced, turning my body around and slamming it against the now closed door. "You told me to kiss you better earlier," she kissed the corner of my lips, making me instinctively close my eyes, and lose myself in all things her, as she whispered seductively in my ear, "I plan on it."

"Good." Was all I could mumble in response as she began to trail kisses from my cheek down to and across my neck. Ever since my last stay here, this had been all I could think about. Her lips on mine. Her body on mine. Her doing exactly what she had done last time, running her hands and lips all over me-

"But first," Phoenix paused, bringing me out of my own thoughts, and grabbed my hand, pulling me towards her living room, "you're going to talk to me about what happened this morning."

I let out a groan, realising that I had just been tricked by Phoenix, but allowed her to guide me to her sofa. With a gentle hand on my shoulder she pushed me down onto it, before joining me.

"So what happened earlier with Kim?"

"It really wasn't anything, just the usual crap that Kim pulls." I told her, trying to cool myself down, as I felt my face flushing with heat, "you know, I was supposed to be helping Zoe get ready for her date right now, and now she thinks I've just abandoned her." I tried to change the subject, not wanting to talk about Kim and her crap anymore.

"I'm sure Zoe will get over it, but I really want to know what happened between you and Kim. I thought things were okay between you."

"Okay?" I scoffed, wondering if Phoenix could honestly believe that Kim and I would ever be okay. "We were never okay, she just got bored of making my life a living hell for a few weeks, but now she's decided to resume that task."

My response was brass, and maybe a little unnecessary, but I couldn't believe that Phoenix would honestly believe that Kim and I would ever be okay after everything she had put me though.

"Is there any reason she left you alone?"

"I don't know Phoenix, the girl's crazy."

"Just think about it Dylan," Phoenix was starting to sound irritated at me, as if I had done something wrong. "Why did she decide now to start harassing you again?"

"Like I said, the girl is crazy. She's honestly unstable, maybe she changed her mind on leaving me alone." My answer didn't seem to satisfy her, as her expression seemed to reflect just how annoyed she sounded. "I don't know what you want me to say. The girl hates me, she always has. She just chose to leave me alone for a few weeks, and now she's back to treating me like shit."

With a sigh, Phoenix ran her hand through her hair, and leant back against the sofa in defeat. I moved my position so that I was almost facing her and caressed her cheek, hating seeing her like this. It was sweet that she cared so much, but I couldn't understand why she cared about the reason Kim had started taking her shit out on me again.

"Do you think she knows about us?"

I laughed a short laugh that almost sounded like a snort, "not a chance, she really isn't that bright."

"So you don't think that's the reason she's treating you horribly again?"

"No I really don't gorgeous. I'm certain if she knew about us, so would the whole school." I leant forward and pressed my lips softly against her forehead, "Kim's just a bully, and like most bullies when they're struggling or things are going wrong for them, they take it out on others."

"You really are very mature for your age."

"Is that why you don't mind dating your student?" It was a crude, and not particularly funny joke, but I hadn't meant anything malicious by it, it was just in bad taste.

Phoenix visibly cringed and pulled away from me slightly, rubbing her face with her hands, making me realise that I should have kept my bad joke to myself.

"That was a bad joke, I'm sorry."

With a shake of her head, she apologised, "It's not though is it." Phoenix stood up, and turned to face away from me, as if she could bare to look at me as she said her next words, "I wonder how many other adults have used that exact statement as an excuse to abuse their power and date a minor."

Standing up to join her, I walked slowly towards her and wrapped my arms around her waist as I spoke, "firstly I'm not a minor. Secondly, you're not abusing your power, we fell for each other before either one of us knew that we would be in the position we're in."

When she still hadn't responded, I decided to continue, wanting to do anything I could to make her feel better and reassure her that she wasn't a bad person, "you're right, there are people out there, who in your position use it to their advantage. But you're not one of them Phoenix. Our situation is just unfortunate, but in six months we wont be in this situation, and we can be open and wont have to worry any more."

Spinning on her heel, Phoenix turned in my arms to face me, "just six months more."

"Six months gorgeous, that's all." I smiled at her, and she smiled that gorgeous smile of hers right back at me. 

Almost as quickly as it had appeared, her smile faded, but as if to hide the frown that had replaced it, Phoenix tucked a stray piece of her behind my ear.

"Maybe it's best we just keep things cool for the next six months."

"Cool how?" I asked, not really wanting to know the answer.

"Limit the amount of time we spend alone together in school and public, no more jokey flirting at school," it felt like this was a list she had already put quite some thought into, rather than one she was just coming up with on the spot. "Maybe even limit the amount of time you spend here."

It felt like a punch to the gut, especially since we had been in such an amazing place this weekend, but I could understand why she felt like this was necessary, and like I had told her, it was only six more months. I could last six months. I was certain of it.

"As long as this isn't your way of dumping me again." I joked, forcing myself to laugh.

"I could never." She reassured me with a smile, and took my hand in hers, "I'm happier with you, then I've ever been. I just don't want to ruin the future we could have by getting caught because we couldn't restrain ourselves."

She was right. We really could have a future together, but if anyone were to find out about us we were fucked, to put it bluntly. Lately we had been taking some risks, and almost forgetting that we had so much to lose by anyone finding out.

"You're one hundred percent right." I told her, with a smirk playing at my lips, "but while I'm already here, maybe we should make the most of it and go to bed." Biting my lip, I started to pull on her hand to lead her upstairs to her bedroom, she put up no fight as she willingly followed me upstairs.

Before I gave in to my urge to rip off Phoenix's clothes, I chucked my car keys and phone out of my pockets and onto her bedside table. Following suit, Phoenix pulled her phone out of her back pocket, but paused as the screen lit up.

Her sudden change of expression caught me off guard, "everything okay?"

Phoenix seemed to pull herself out of her own world at the sound of my voice, and brought her eyes up from her phone to look at me, a smile once more working its way onto her lips. "It's nothing." Closing the space between us, she placed her hands on my hips, "now where were we?" As if to answer her own question she placed her lips to mine, and soon we were both lost in one another, and I had forgotten all about her strange reaction to her phone.