Chapter Twenty Five- Secretly in Love

"So who's the girl?"

"There isn't a girl."

"There's definitely a girl."

Zoe's persistence on the matter was starting to drive me mad, and she showed no signs of easing up on her never ending questions. She'd been like this ever since fireworks night, and it was starting to become an annoyance.

"Zo, there isn't some girl, I just wanted an evening to myself, I've told you that a thousand times."

"Yeah but now it all makes sense."

Deciding to play along with her game, I became the one asking questions, "what makes sense?"

With a smile that resembled that of a cat who had gotten the cream, Zoe proudly began to tell me her wild theory. "Well it all comes together now. The fact you and Reuben decided to fake date, so that you both could have excuses for why you'd disappear, allowing you both to go and see other people."

Looking extremely impressed with herself, Zoe fell back into the sofa, taking a sip from the mug in her hand. The annoying thing was that she wasn't even completely wrong, she was as close to being right as she could be.

"Plus you've stopped staring at Miss Reed, so there must be another girl who has all your attention now."

I couldn't help but let out a little laugh. Zoe had gone from being so right, to so wrong within seconds.

"We're supposed to be best friends Dyl," Zoe tried using a form of emotional blackmail to get me to confess all my secrets, "you can tell me anything." She attempted to wiggle her eyebrows at me, making me shake my head at her and roll my eyes.

"And I do tell you anything," to stop her from interrupting, I added, "and everything."

"Uh huh."

With Zoe seemingly acting defeated, she finished the last of her drink, placing the empty mug down on the coffee table, and settled back into the sofa. After a few moments of silence between the pair of us as we watched an old re-run episode of Friends on her T.V.

"Just tell me it's not Kim."

Having caught me by surprise, I almost spit out the tea I had just taken a sip of. "Jesus Zo, are you trying to kill me?" I managed to say in between coughs and desperate gulps of air.

Laughing, Zoe gently rubbed my back as I coughed and snorted, she was lucky that I was too preoccupied to glare at her.

"I just had to check Dyl, she's been unusually tolerable of you lately, I had to make sure that it wasn't a case of her being closeted and secretly in love with you."

"Zo, that's literally the dumbest thing you've ever said," I laughed, playfully judging her as I stood up from the sofa, "now where's that brother of yours, were supposed to be working on our history project."

"He's pampering himself, he takes nearly an hour in the bathroom getting ready every morning." Zoe shook her head, and stood up to join me, guiding us to her kitchen, probably to make another tea to feed her addiction.

As if I was psychic, Zoe flipped the switch of the kettle, before giving her cup a quick rinse to use once more. I watched her in silence, making note of just how different she was from her brother.

"Do you trust me Dylan?"

Jumping up onto her kitchen counter, I faced the back of Zoe, who was busy making her drink.

"Of course I trust you Zo."

"Then how come you never seem to tell me anything," I went to interrupt her, to reassure her, but she hushed me and continued, "you and Reuben seem to have so many secrets, and it seems like I'm always on the outside."