CHAPTER 19: Criminal Law Enforcement.

Author: Chai JiDan

Full Etrans: Anne Noh

At 7 o'clock, Chi Cheng sat in the police car, driving to work

Today is his first day at work. He is going to work in Criminal Law Enforcement. Finally, he arrived at the unit. Several leaders took turns to invite him for a tea at their office. He has not introduced himself to his colleagues yet. However, they already know that his father is a General Secretary in a municipal party and his uncle is the Chief of City Administrative and Law Enforcement Bureau. There are a lot of rumors and curious stares the moment Chi Cheng reported himself to the office.

Chi Cheng's shift has already ended but he decided to go patrolling. The captain quickly put down his bag and walked to his car to start patrolling with Chi Cheng.

It was already dark outside. The windshield is covered with a thin layer of fog. The bright lights are now getting dim. The street is bustling at that moment. The cold weather didn't interrupt the hawkers' enthusiasm to work. The shouts and noises can be heard continuously. All kinds of smells are wafting in the air, infiltrating into the car.

Wu Suowei is selling at this street. There's an old man selling roasted sweet potato in his left and a Dage (big brother) is selling shoes on his right.

"Hey!" Wu Suowei greeted the big brother, "How long have you done this?"

The big brother crouched as he smokes. He faintly replied, "more than two years."

"Have you been caught by Chengguan before?" Wu Suowei asked.

"Never." The big brother laughed.

Wu Suowei asked admirably, "how did you do it?" He waited for his answer for a long time but the big brother did not respond. Finally, the old man beside him said, "Because he is a Chengguan."

There's a spark in Wu Suowei's huge eyes that light the dark street.

"I work as a Chengguan by the day and I open a stall later at night after my shift. I have no choice. I have two children and I cannot afford to feed my children if I only rely on the small wages."

We Suowei gnawed his lips. It looks like no one is having an easy life. "Then if I follow you, I won't be caught by Chengguan?"