Chapter 11

||1857||

~Thomas~

I stepped off of the small wooden stool and pushed it aside. I had just finished stacking the last of the flour bags.

My father ran the general store in our small western town, and I was lucky to get employed here. Although I was his only employee since he claimed he couldn't afford another one. I never got payed though. But it was good work.

My fifty year old father was a proud and kind man who put a lot of time into his work and his son. He loved me dearly, as much as he did my mother. She had died when I was just seven years old. Those first years without her were hard, but things soon started to look up for my father and I.

"Thomas! When you've finished putting things away, can you clean the counters?!" My father called from his office.

"Yes father!" I replied.

I grabbed the candle that sat on the paying counter, and took it with me to get a cloth.

The dim light didn't allow me to see much, but I could at least tell where I was going.

I had grabbed a wet cloth from the sink in the bathroom, and started walking towards the counter, when a bloodcurdling scream almost made me drop the candle.

I set the candle on the counter, and ran towards the room where the scream had sounded. My fathers office.

I entered and saw nothing, "F-father?" I stuttered.

A shadow of a man sitting in the corner, caught my attention. I slowly walked towards it, and almost fainted when I saw him.

My father, was lying, lifeless on the ground. Dark red blood was oozing from his neck, staining his beige coat.

"Father! Oh dear lord what has done this to you?!" I screamed, putting my hands on my head.

"I think I can answer that." A voice said from behind me. I jerked around to see a young man, dressed in a long, black coat.

"You killed my father?" I asked him, nervously.

He laughed, menacingly, "Yes." He said simply. Then wiped dripping blood from his chin.

"You're a vampire." I said, horror, evident in my voice.

The town has been well aware of vampires roaming America. Fear stricken, we all locked our doors at night, and kept our windows shut tight. But that never stopped them.

"Yes indeed, my kind sir." The man spoke. He started to walk towards me. I would've gotten up and ran, but fear, glued me the wooden floor.

"You know, I could use someone like you. You're in that perfect age. Wouldn't you like to freeze that forever?" The man asked, entwining his fingers.

I shook my head, "There is no way I'm going to be one of you filthy demons." I scowled.

The man put a hand to his heart, "Oh, that hurt." He said, but then laughed evilly.

"I'm sorry. But you don't have a choice." He said. The next thing I knew, he was feeding me his acidic tasting blood.

I struggled against his rock hard grip, but he wouldn't let me go.

When he had finally let go of his grasp, he took my head in his hands, and looked straight into my eyes.

His silvery blue eyes shined in the candlelight, "Say goodbye to your life." He said, then broke my neck, sending me spiralling to my death.

___________________________

~Aiden~

I watched Henry as he shoved the last steak into his mouth.

Lucian had let Henry out of the cage and we were now eating breakfast in a quiet cafeteria like room.

I had a glass of blood, while Henry picked practically everything on the menu containing meat. He must've developed a carnivorous appetite after he had become a werewolf.

"So, that was some fight last night." I said, trying to make conversation. Although it seemed as though I had said the wrong thing.

"Please don't bring it up. I barely remember it anyways." He said, giving me a cold stare, before finishing the rest of his meal.

"What do you remember?" I asked. I just had to know what he had to go through. He said it was painful, but that didn't seem to fill me in on everything.

"I-I don't know. Pain... I remember going into the cage place. I could see you, the other wolf. I felt like I was the same, although my instincts were altered. It's hard to explain." He said. I nodded, "Hmm."

"Enjoying your meal you two?" Thomas walked up to us, holding an empty blood bag.

"What do you want?" I asked in an annoyed tone of voice.

"Lucian wants to see you, Aiden." He said. I looked at Henry, who gave me a look saying go.

I nodded and went with Thomas.