Chapter 17

~Aiden~

"How are you?" I whispered, breaking the eery quietness that surrounded the hallway. I had snuck into the hallway of cells where William and the others were being held. I needed to check up on them.

I had stolen the big ring of keys that opened each cell door, from Lucians large oak desk. Once I had gotten to the hallways of cells, I quickly unlocked Williams cell first.

It was dark in every cell, and the smell was putrefying. I was actually quite afraid of being down here, and not only because if I got caught, I would be in big trouble.

William was sitting in on the concrete floor with his legs sprawled out in front of him, and his arms laying pathetically on the ground. He slowly lifted his head up, revealing a horrifying face. I held back a grimace, not wanting to upset him. He looked worse than the last time I had seen him. His eyes were bloodshot, and large dark circles surrounded his tired eyes. He was as pale as a ghost, and his face was sunken, making him look like a corpse. He was practically just skin and bones.

I was absolutely terrified. So this is what happens when you don't have blood. I thought. The dead, actually begin looking like the dead.

I swallowed nervously as he opened his mouth to say something, "B-blo-" He started, but couldn't finish the word. His voice was dry and coarse. This was not the William Thorn I knew.

"I know... I'll get you some." I said in a shaky voice. William closed his eyes, making him look like he was actually dead. I started worrying, to be honest. What if he actually did die? I asked myself. But then the words from Lucian replayed in my brain, A vampire lives forever, even if they don't drink blood. But, after months, years, decades, they will just be a poor motionless mummy. Just barely clinging onto life. I sighed in relief, William wouldn't die.

I grabbed the steel door handle, and left Williams cell. But, just as I was leaving, two, ice cold hands grabbed onto my shoulders. I screamed, as I was slammed against the wall in Williams cell. My eyes widened in horror to see William in front of me.

His eyes had turned a deep, blood red, and sharp fangs replaced his canine teeth. He now looked more horrifying than ever.

I screamed once more but once interrupted as William put his cold, bony hand on my mouth, silencing me. He forced my head to the side with one hand, and held me in place with the other. Even as a decaying corpse, he still had the strength of a healthy vampire.

I struggled in his grasp, but he didn't move. I could feel his fangs pierce the flesh on my neck, and I closed my eyes shut.

After about five seconds of me struggling and William drinking my blood, he finally let go. I stumbled to the other end of the cell, and furrowed my eyebrows as I watched William.

He hadn't regained health. His skin was still pale, and he was still skin and bones.

He was vomiting. He threw up red liquid onto the concrete floor. I was breathing heavily the whole while. My eyes were still wide with shock and fear.

He vomited my blood for about two minutes before nothing came out anymore. Though he continued dry heaving.

I quickly scurried out of his cell and closed the thick steel door. I fumbled with the keys, and finally picked out the right one. I put the silver key into the keyhole and locked the door.

My breathing was still heavy, but I was calming down.

"I'm sorry." A rough voice spoke from within Williams cell. I carefully peered through the barred window, and found William, lying on the floor.

I didn't respond. Instead, I left. I didn't want to check up on the others. If they were as dangerous as William when they were hungry, than I didn't want to be near them.

I snuck back into Lucians office, and returned the ring of keys back to its original place on his desk.

"Mr.Gecker." A deep voice made me jump and I jerked around to face a bulky man in a black shirt and pants. I regained my posture, and asked, "Y-yes?"

The man didn't suspect anything suspicious, thankfully, and just said, "Your friend Henry, would like to see you."

I nodded, "Thanks." I said, "Where is he?"

"In his room." The man answered, and moved out of the doorway, gesturing down the hallway. I exited Lucians office, and made my way to Henry's room. I pushed the event that happened just moments ago out of my head on my way. I didn't want to think of William as a killer.