Chapter 24

||1809||

~William~

"Oh, Will. This is beautiful! I would dream to have a house this magnificent!" Mary exclaimed with wide eyes. I smiled as I watched her twirl around the lovely stone fountain that was placed just in front of the solid brick mansion. Her soft pink evening dress looked like an umbrella as she twirled round and round.

When she had stopped attracting attention from other well dressed people who were walking up the steps to the house, she practically fell in my arms, her head spinning, "Oh this is just so glamorous." She said softly, enthusiasm lacing her voice. I laughed and said, "Very." Before guiding her up the concrete steps to the open double doors of the great house.

Light poured out through windows of the house, and through the open doors, where many people kept flooding into the party.

Mary and I were invited to attend a wealthy mans dinner party, but neither of us knew exactly why. We didn't know the man, not even his name. When we had gotten the invitation, the person who signed it just went by, L. But neither of us cared. We were considered lower class, and to have the chance of attending an upper class dinner party was thrilling.

"Do I look presentable?" Mary turned to ask me before we entered the house. I smiled and moved a dark brown strand of stray hair behind her ear, "Yes." I answered. She smiled brightly at me before kissing me on the cheek.

Mary grabbed my arm and led me into the party. Soft piano music and sounds of laughter and chatter filled the air. And a sense of comfort and warmth washed over me. People danced along to the music, ate small snacks that were handed to them by loyal servers, and drank wine to their hearts content.

Mary wanted to see everything, and talk to everyone. That's what I loved about her, she was so very outgoing, polite yet loud at the same time, and beautiful.

As we weaved through the crowd of fancy people, I couldn't help but have the feeling that someone was watching me. I looked around to see if anyone was watching me, but couldn't tell. There were just too many people.

"Let's have something to drink." Mary said turned and said to me with a mischievous smile on her face. I agreed without a word, and let her continue on guiding me through the lot of people.

"You must be William Thorn and Mary White, correct?" A deep voice broke through the sounds of music and laughter, just when Mary had found a man serving drinks. I turned around to face a black haired man wearing a black suit, and red bow tie. He smiled a smile that could lure any lady, but I felt like he was masking something behind it.

I nodded, "Yes." I said with a quick nod of my head. The man's smile grew wider, "A pleasure to meet you two. My name is Lucian Delavan, I am the one who invited you." He said, sticking out his hand in front of him, waiting for me to shake it. I took his hand and shook it, a small smile on my face.

Lucian then turned to Mary, and gently took her hand, placing a soft kiss atop of it. Mary blushed at my distaste and smiled politely.

"I'm so very glad you could make it. I have quite the plans for tonight." Lucian told us, his voice like velvet. I gave him a weak smile, it was something about how he said that that made me feel nervous.

"Well. I must be going now, I have things to discuss with others. I will be seeing you soon." He said before turning around and walking right into the crowd.

I stood frozen to the ground, there was just something about that man that felt, evil. Mary nudged me with her elbow, snapping me back to the party. She held two fancy, crystal clear wine glasses filled with red liquid, "Here you are, Will." She said, handing me one of the glasses. I thanked her as I took the glass from her delicate hand.

"You don't like Lucian, do you?" Mary asked me after taking a small drink of her wine. I frowned, "Whatever makes you think that?" I asked her. She raised an eyebrow, "It's quite obvious, William. You don't favour him." She said. I didn't say anything else on the subject. It was true, I didn't favour that man at all.

__________________________

It was half past ten, and the mansion was still buzzing with chatter and laughter. The dinner was about to be served any minute, and I wondered why it was delayed for so long.

Mary loved every second of the party. She danced, talked with a few of the wealthy folk, and had four rounds of that red wine the butlers were serving. I took to the festivities in silence. Making minimal talk with others, barely laughing. All I did the whole night was look over my shoulder for watching eyes. I still had the feeling that I was being watched.

Mary kept acting suspicious when I wouldn't join in on the conversations with others, but I didn't care.

At ten forty, Lucian Delavan stepped up onto the fifth step of the grand staircase that sat in the middle of the room, and shouted out to the enormous crowd of people, while hitting a fork against a wine glass, "Excuse me everyone! Excuse me!" He said. The multiple servers in the room helped to hush the crowd, while Lucian tried getting their attention.

Once the huge house was finally quiet, Lucian spoke, "Thank you everyone for coming! I am so glad you all could make it! Now, I'm sure some of you are hungry, so, without further ado, dinner." He paused, giving the silent crowd an evil laced grin, "Is served." He then said.

That's when the entire party became a scene of gore and chaos.