Chapter 15

"You!" The vampire pointed a pale finger at me. I swallowed nervously, and widened my eyes.

"You're the only one who hasn't fought Atticus." He said. My heart was beating rapidly as I moved my eyes towards Atticus's ginormous stature. His hackles were raised and his teeth were bared. Ready for the next round.

All the other werewolves were sitting on a long wooden bench that sat on the other side of the gym. They had to be fed our coaches blood since their wounds were so bad. Atticus just tossed them around like a chew toy.

"Come on! We don't have all day!" The vampire shouted, making me jump.

"Sorry." I mumbled, and started to walk towards the mat.

Atticus's yellow eyes were trained on me, watching my every move. A low growl sounded from his throat as I stepped onto the navy blue mat.

I took a deep, shaky breath, in and out as I stood right in front of Atticus.

Atticus lowered his head, and took a step towards me. My heart was beating at an incredible speed as I watched Atticus advance towards me.

"You can do it Henry." A voice cheered me on from the bench. I glanced at the bench of werewolves and saw Reagan's supportive facial expression. I nodded, and looked back at Atticus.

Come on Henry. You can do this. I told myself.

I started to circle around Atticus. All the while, keeping my eyes on his.

It seemed like an eternity before Atticus made the first move. In one quick move, he jumped into the air. His paws reached for me, and his teeth, ready to gnaw on my flesh.

I reacted quickly by moving to the side, just missing his claws. He fell onto the ground with a thud, but quickly shook it off.

He then ran straight for me. I did the only thing I could do in response. Run away.

I ran around the mat with Atticus on my tail. He was much faster than me and it didn't take him long until he tackled me to the ground. I was temporarily winded as he pushed his weight onto my body.

His sharp, dagger like claws dug into my skin, making me cry out in pain. He growled in my face. His teeth were so close to me he could've bit my nose off without moving his face forward. I shut my eyes tight, and held back the scream that was trying to escape my lips.

I could feel my warm, sticky blood slide down my arms as Atticus's claws dug deeper into my flesh.

"Given up yet?" The vampire asked me in an unamused voice. Like he was tired of watching a powerful beast fight a weak human.

I didn't answer. I was too frightened by the snarling face that was right in front of me.

"Worthless." An unintelligent voice said. For once, I stopped being afraid, and wondered who said the word.

It didn't at all sound human. It sounded more like an animals growl. The word was heavily slurred and I'm surprised I could actually make out what the thing was saying.

"Who said that?" I asked. No one on the benches answered. Not even the vampire who was barely even watching the fight.

"I... Did." The voice said again in slurred words. My eyes grew wide as I found out who had said it. Atticus.

But how? Animals don't speak. But humans do. Could a werewolf actually speak though? It seemed highly impossible. But it wasn't, Atticus had just done it. Although it didn't really sound like actual words, you could still make out what he was trying to say.

Is there nothing this guy can't do? I thought. I mean, he could already shift at will. Now, he's able to speak as a wolf? It seemed very peculiar.

"You're... Worthless... Don't... Know... Fight." He growled. I frowned. I don't know how to fight? I asked myself angrily. Although a part of me knew what Atticus was saying, was true. The other part of me wanted to show him that I could fight. That part of me took over.

I growled and shoved him, with all my might. I actually got him off of me, and pushed him to the ground. I no longer paid attention to the pain, or the blood that oozed from my hurting shoulders where Atticus's claws were.

Atticus got up from the ground and made a noise that sounded like he was, laughing. Yes, laughing.

He towered over me and pulled back his lips, baring his teeth at me. He was as big a grizzly bear, and he looked even stronger than one.

But the courageous, fighting part of me, didn't want to be afraid of him. No matter how scared I should've been.

I just looked him in the eyes, and growled. Not a humanly growl, but an animalistic growl. One that can only be made from a true animal.

After about thirty seconds of our menacing stare down, a strange, nauseous feeling came over me.

I suddenly felt light headed and could barely keep myself planted on the ground. I put a hand to my forehead, as if it would help the pain in my head go away.

The room was beginning to spin, and I was inches away from face planting into the ground.

"Whoa, is he okay?" I heard a faint voice say, "I don't know." Another one answered. It sounded like millions of quiet voices were all around me, but my brain couldn't process what they were saying.

I finally met Atticus's eyes, only to see the big wolf cowering in fear. His ears were flat against his fur, and his tail was stuck in between his quivering legs.

What's going on? I thought. I should be the one scared. Not Atticus.

My spiralling vision found the eyes of the other werewolves. Who also, looked frightened and surprised.

I was about to open my mouth to say something, when the world went black...