0.9

i grabbed my stuff from my locker and walked with shannon to french, our conversation lighthearted.

i noticed simon in front of us, jj and josh beside him, as the three walked down the corridor, eyes harsh.

girls' heads turned, and i found myself one of them as i attempted to catch simon's gaze.

his eyes flickered over me, but he looked away without a glimmer of recognition and proceeded to walk past me.

i sighed and tried to brush it off by smiling and continuing to talk to shannon.

"can you show me where music is, please?" i asked lydia at the end of the day when the two of us were back in our apartment.

"of course." she smiled, standing up and pushing her phone and keys into her pocket.

"i'm so glad it's the weekend." she sighed contentedly as we walked.

"me too." i grinned.

"you've been here for two weeks. how do you like it?"

"it's good, yeah. i made friends quicker than i imagined, which is helpful." i giggled.

"good, but be careful of simon, okay? he's not good for you."

i was about to ask why, but i was cut off by her chirping, "we're here!" and the questions were left to eat at me.

"i'll be at the apartment, have fun." lydia smiled, hugging me and walking back as i explored the building, many rooms the home to a piano, some with guitars, drums, violins, keyboards and other instruments.

i entered one of the free rooms with a piano and i sat down, beginning to play a long piece that i knew.

"what're you doing here?" i mumbled, looking up once i'd finished, to see simon leant against the door frame, his trademark smirk on his lips.

i was confused as to why he was specifically talking to me now, when only a couple of hours ago he wouldn't even make proper eye contact with me.

"you left the door open." he spoke clearly, never faltering his focus on me, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"can we go somewhere?" he spoke quickly, after a moment's silence. "i mean, you--"

"shut up." i cut him off, standing up and walking to him with a smile.

he nodded, leading me from the building, and i followed him, lydia's previous comment having escaped my mind.

"where're we going?" i asked and he didn't reply but simply kept walking.

we reached his car and i raised an eyebrow at him, to which he nodded, "don't worry, i'm not going to kill you." he cracked a smile and i rolled my eyes, getting into the passenger seat.

"here." simon smiled, his eyes lighting up as he looked at the familiar building we'd pulled up next to.

i got out of the car and he joined me, locking it, before starting towards the door of what i now realised was a small café.

"you like chocolate, right?" simon asked, turning to me.

i nodded, "um, i'll have two chocolate sundaes." he said to the girl behind the counter. "go get us a table while i pay?" simon reverted his gaze back to me.

"are you sure?" i asked and simon nodded, so i went and sat down at a table for two, pulling my phone out and replying to snapchats and texts.

after a moment, simon sat opposite me with a smile on his lips.

"put your phone away, i need all of your concentration on this ice cream." simon said excitedly once the waitress had brought them over, his eyes on me, oblivious of the waitress' attempt of catching his eye and shoving her chest in his face, much to my smug joy.

i placed my phone down and dug my spoon in and tried it, my eyes fluttering closed for a second, "oh my god, this is so good."

"that's what she said." simon winked and i rolled my eyes playfully, "but, i know, right?" he grinned, proceeding to eat his own sundae.

i found myself watching him as he ate, a small, content smile on his lips, causing one to be present on mine, and i realised this was a side of him i'd never see at school.

but, of course, me being me, had to ruin it.

"can i ask you something?"

"mm." simon nodded, looking up, pushing his now-empty glass away from him slightly.

"why.. what happened last night?"

"it doesn't matter." he said bluntly, eyes hardening, the happiness i felt privileged to have been witness to, and partially the cause of, vanishing.

"can we, um, go?"

i bit my lip, nodding slightly as he stood abruptly and left the café, leaving me to follow him awkwardly, thanking the waitress on the way out.

i got into his car and we drove back to campus in silence as i looked out of the window for the whole drive, cursing myself over and over in my head for messing things up already.

"thank you." i said when simon parked his car, unlocking the doors.

"see you on monday." he mumbled.

"simon, i'm sorry." i leant over to place a delicate kiss to his cheek, "goodbye."

a.n. long chapter, hope you enjoyed (: