Chapter 24

"I, Queen Tatiana Ivashkov do hear by crown you, Dimitri Alexie Gavin Belikov the dhampir King, first of his line and first of his name. Never shall you kneel to anyone ever again, forever will everyone kneel to you." 

I place the crown upon Dimitri's head, and the screams of "long live king Dimitri" as well as the applause reverberate throughout the hall. And of course there are yet again disparaging remarks from the royals.

"Please rise, Dimitri the Dhampir King, and take your throne alongside your queen."

Dimitri turns to join Rose, but before he sits he kneels to her and says in a loud strong voice. "My queen, I love you with all my heart and it is with great pride that I join you today as your king." 

Kissing her hand he stands then leans over and kisses her check before sitting on his own throne. I can't hide my smile my heart is so full of pride in and for both of them I know they will be great monarchs and rule justly. Again the crowd erupts into cheers and chants of "long live king Dimitri, long live queen Rose."

Turning once again to the crowd I begin my third speech of the day. I'm getting tired but I must continue this has to be done today.

"I have also picked my replacement as moroi queen and today she will be crowned as well as her king. First, this young woman is the embodiment of all that is right with moroi royalty. She is good, kind, loving, caring and fiercely loyal. I remember the first time that I saw her; she was the most beautiful baby that I had have ever seen. Even to this day she still is. But her beauty is not only on the outside but the inside as well. She is full of poise and grace; she hardly ever raises her voice unless she has to. People are just automatically drawn to her; she is loved by so many people. Today we are going to crown the new moroi queen." 

Once again the music starts and once again everyone stands hoping to get the first look at the new moroi queen. I heard the gasps as Lissa walks out hands clasping each other in front of her just like Rose. I could tell that she was scared and nervous but only those that knew her well could see it. To those that didn't she looked cool calm and collected. I led Lissa to the coronation pillow upon which she kneeled.

"Vasilissa Sabina Rhea Dragomir, do you promise to always do what is best for your people not just the moroi but the dhampir as well?"

"I do."

"Do you promise to rule wisely, justly, compassionately, and lovingly?"

"I do."

"I, Queen Tatiana Ivashkov do hear by crown you, Vasilissa Sabina Rhea Dragomir queen of the moroi first of her line and first of her name. Never will you kneel to anyone again forever will everyone kneel to you." Placing the crown upon her head the crowd erupts with "long live queen Lissa.

"Please rise Queen Lissa and take your throne." 

Lissa walks toward her thrown but before she sits down, she hugs both Rose and Dimitri and kisses Rose on the check they in turn kiss her cheek and return her hug. As Lissa sits down she grasps Rose's hand and Rose takes Dimitri's hand. I can tell it is a show of solidarity saying that they will reign together just as they should.

"Finally, for my part anyway..." there was a round of laughter throughout the hall. "We will crown the moroi king. This young man has been through a lot in his short life, he has been ridiculed by moroi and dhampir alike just as Queen Rose has. But today that stops here and now. No one should be held responsible for the misdeeds of others but he has been and it has angered me greatly over the years. May I introduce to you the moroi king." 

I straighten my arm out calling for Christian to come forth and the music to start. I can hear not only the gasps but also the comments of, "no not the strigoi wanna be" "he can't be king he will turn on us" all I can do is shake my head at their stupidity. I offer my hand to Christian and lead him to the pillow.