•c h a p t e r 07•

"You could speak English this whole time!" I repeat to him just to make sure I said it out loud

He only nods as he speeds around the back roads, confirming that I've been making a fool of myself this whole time. Of course he speaks English. He had me use my very rusty Spanish on him and he could understand everything I had said including that Michael heard me...

I shiver just thinking about Michael.

I left him. That's what kind of friend I've become- the kind that leaves someone behind while they're bleeding to death. Have the police found him? Is he in route to the hospital yet? Is he still alive?

A big part of me wants to blame the cops for running my name through the system, to blame Eli for searching for me or any of the above but the truth is, it's my fault. I never should have run from him. Now my only real friend is alone and possibly dead while I'm letting a confirmed killer drive me around like Miss Daisy.

Luca, if that's even his real name, was playing me the whole time pretending not to be able to speak. I would have been kind to him regardless of who he was but I have a weak spot for those who need help; like a hungry hobo. Just like Michael did for me.

He will survive. He has to...

My shaking hand wipes away tears before they have a chance to fall. I have to push Michael to the back of my mind and concentrate on the situation at hand.

Luca just drives us silently into the night like it would cause him physical pain to talk to me. So I spend the down time thinking about my situation. My nerves are getting to me and I need to collect my thoughts before opening my mouth again.

If Eli was after me, he would most likely never hurt me so why would he send those guys to destroy my home and shoot Michael? How would I keep up with his condition since I left my money, wallet and phone at home? As far as that goes, I'm at the mercy of the hobo. Speaking of, how could Luca have known those men were coming unless he works for Eli, or worse, against him? If he was with him, I'd be dragged back there and if he were against him, I could be used as bait. Until I find out how he's involved, I can't trust Luca.

"I have a few questions. I'd appreciate an answer, even if its vague." I say somehow with more confidence than I feel.

He stays impassive.

"Okay," My eyes roll instinctively at him. "First, are you actually living on the streets?"

He nods.

"The car is stolen I guess," I mumble to myself. "Do you work for a man named Eli?"

Slowly, he shakes his head 'no'.

"Did you take me for ransom?"

He pumps the breaks and looks me over in confusion. Obviously he didn't know I could be ransomed until I opened my trap. Way to go, Constance.