•c h a p t e r 49•

"You killed Craig?"

"You killed Craig?"

Luca gulps and takes a staggered step backwards. I shake DeLeon's hand off my shoulder and lunge towards him. I grab what's left of his shirt and shake him until DeLeon grabs my arm and pulls me away from him although I don't know why. He wants to kill Luca and now so do I. He should set me free and I'll get the job done.

"How could you kill him! He was innocent!" I don't struggle away from DeLeon again, instead I stand firm.

"It's not what you think." He says wide eyed.

I'm sure he's shocked that I would attack him but he can't go around killing people. This is real actual life, not some video game. Once you take a life, they never come back. I'm equally furious and pained.

"Really? So he was a spy then?" I tapped my foot on the concrete.

". . . No-"

"Oh, then he threatened you or me in some way?" I ask sarcastically waving my hands around.

Luca looks around the dimly lit hallway, avoiding my question. I put my hands on my hips defiantly and wait impatiently for him to man up and answer me.

"I can't believe this." I throw my hands up in the air. "You killed him and you made me feel like I did something wrong! You pushed me away instead of facing your problems only to make love to me and then disappear again! What is wrong with you?"

"It was the first time I felt real regret for doing something and I didn't want you to get hurt by me... I can't protect you from myself." His eyes plead with me but my I'm fuming. "I have no real excuse for pulling close and then pushing you away. I need you close to me. You're my oxygen, my purpose... but I also need you to be safe which isn't with me. I'm sorry."

"You need help."

DeLeon, who I honestly forgot was here, awkwardly clears his throat. "You both need help."

Luca and I tell him to shut up at the same time which earned him a glare from me. DeLeon's touch on my arm suddenly felt hard and burning but he was the least of my concerns. I yank my arm free again and turn towards him, the man who started this whole mess.

"This doesn't concern you!" I snap at the drug lord.

I hadn't really seen him before but he's actually really beautiful. What the heck? Why can't all bad guys have hitler mustaches and a beer gut?

"Excuse me," He picks up his hand and shakes the gun a round. "I'm holding the gun here. So maybe stop fighting."

"No honey, you're holding me back from killing the man I came here to save." I poke his chest.

I thought a man like Leon DeLeon would have hit me for that, in fact, I was waiting for it but he only glared at me. His eyes watched me carefully and then he laughed. He kept on laughing and then he cocked the gun and pointed it back at my head. Surprisingly I don't flinch.