•c h a p t e r 38•

I look at myself in the broken mirror and see blood

I look at myself in the broken mirror and see blood. It's falling down my arm from using the saw blade on the last guy. He wouldn't hold still so I got splattered all down my face and chest as well. The others, I killed them before I started to cut but this guy was different. Hans identified him as the guy he pulled off of my gir- Constance mid thrust.

He got special treatment.

Once I finish sending out these last few parts, I'll be on the run again. I was thinking Barbados.

I can't stick around because of the deal I made with the devil himself and because I am a lesser man. I don't think that just because I killed a few men, cut them into tiny pieces and sent them to Dion DeLeon. No, I'm lesser because a huge part of my soul is gone; the part that I gave to Scissors.

Sometimes I seriously consider going after her but I can't. She's been through enough and living poor and on the run isn't the life she deserves.

That being said, I have kept tabs on her through Nate. He provides me with the therapists notes, weekly updates and the occasional photo. The last update I got, she had finally gone to my house. I received a picture of her looking through the telescope I bought two years ago. Her rear end was up, chest down and I knew it was Nick who had taken that photo and as bad as I wanted to be pissed at him for taking it, I wasn't. I love her backside and seeing it in my favorite room made me smile.

Of course I was in the middle of sawing a leg off so that kind of took some of the romance out of my thoughts. . .

My phone rings twice, stops and then rings again signaling an untracable line. I put the leg I was wrapping down, wipe my hands on my pants and answer.

"Yeah."

"Hey man. I know you said not to call unless it was important but I wanted to check in on you. Did you get the pictures?"

I chuckle at the irony. I never had any real friends and nobody has cared about me since Darlene but now that I have both, I'm the one leaving. "I did. Thank you."

"Sure. Sure."

An awkward silence falls between Nate and I. He has voiced his hatred of the deal I made with Handle but people do things they normally wouldn't when people they care about are involved.

"How is she?" I whisper.

"She has locked herself in your room. We feed her treats under the door because she wont open it. Everytime one of us looks between the gap, the snacks are gone so we know she's alive."

My room, my old room, was pretty large. It has the largest balcony with a table and chairs sitting atop it. The bathroom is easily the size of one of the other bedrooms and the closet could fit a small family in it. Every inch of that house is pristine, elegant and fit for a Queen. She will never have to want anything, I made sure of that.