•c h a p t e r 09•

"EIGHTY-TWO CENTS!"

"EIGHTY-TWO CENTS!"

"Um yeah, pop the trunk." I smile at him in fake innocence.

Tampons and deodorant only cost about twelve dollars so I splurged. If he wouldn't stop for me to pee then I get to spend his money. What kind of hobo has a one hundred dollar bill anyways? He's not what he seems, that's for sure.

I got both of us princess toothbrushes, individual mouth wash and razors. Then I saw the summer dresses were on sale and got two of those plus every single bag of M&M's they had and a few water bottles. Luca didn't pack food so I am half starved, literally disappearing from lack of sugar and carbs.

The nonessentials get tossed in the otherwise empty trunk while the edibles get VIP treatment upfront with me.

Luca just grumbles to himself under his breath when I get in and speeds off. You would think that because we're on the run he wouldn't want to draw attention to us by driving like he's an extra in Fast Five but apparently he's not as concerned about it as I am. He's more focused on me, passing dirty looks my way every few minutes as I eat my candy.

If he's waiting for me to feel guilty, he's going to be scowling for a long while.

To get his mind off of my spending, I asked him about Michael. Honestly he's been on my mind constantly but I had to prepare for the possibility he won't make it because that's what happens to people I love; they die.

"He's alive." Luca said with an exhale.

I was not expecting him to tell me that which made me release the air I was holding back. I am beyond relieved. Michael could easily have died on the floor of my apartment and although he's probably not out of the wood yet, he's alive. My happiness doesn't last long, however, because Luca is trying to kill me with his bad driving.

"What's wrong?" He swerves around the road and the only thing I can think of doing is hold his hand.

"Nothing... Just, thank you. I really appreciate you asking about him."

He does his signature stare and continues to drive. So much has happened in the past three days and I still don't trust Luca but I am learning to appreciate him. He saved me when he could have ran as soon as he saw the suits. He stayed when keeping me with him only weighs him down from running away from his own problems. Sure, he's rude and not the best communicator but he's here unlike Michael.

"Is he awake? Does he hate me for leaving? Can I call him? How bad was the damage?" I start shooting off questions a million miles an hour.

Luca sighs deeply probably realizing he'll have to open his mouth to speak. Excitedly, I scoot closer to watch him talk partly because it a natural phenomenon for him to use words but mostly because it's about Michael.