•c h a p t e r 27•

The first real thing I say to her is a lie and no matter how much I hate it, I can't tell her the truth.

Her big round eyes beg me to talk to her and for a second I was trapped in them. She has possessed me, body and soul and because of that I lied.

Her emotions are visibly displayed when tell her I don't care and it breaks me. She can never know the pain it causes me to push her away when all I want to do is hold her and tell her how much I really do care.

Constance is too important, she's been through too much and deserves so much more than what I can give her. She shouldn't be playing spy for me or having to be dragged around the country to clear a name that isn't hers.

I storm out of the Motel. It doesn't take too long to retrieve everything the twins sent me but I drive slowly anyways trying to stay away from her as long as possible.

I've ignored her, refused to speak and have even been rude when I have to interact with her. To keep Constance at arms length, I had to stop calling her Scissors in my head or otherwise.

I can't let her close again.

Never again.

Opening the door, I see Constance sitting on the end of the bed watching the wall. Her once infectious smile has turned stale and it's my fault. The only thing I can truly give her is the ability to move on with her life when this is all over. She deserves a stable man to take care of her, one who can hold her and never leave. Anyone but me.

Well, anyone but me or Craig. Although I don't have to worry about her going back to him; he's dead.

***

I wake up at four in the morning to go over schematics, review the plan and to watch Constance as she sleeps peacefully.

In fact, I'm kind of creeping myself out.

My phone buzzes on the table next to me and it's the very last person I want to talk with. I answer Nick's call anyways.

"Rubio."

"And it speaks! I have so many questions for you. Why did you go radio silent, what happened to you and Constance and why-"

"-Shut up!" I growl quietly hoping not to wake her. "What do you want?"

The other end of the phone was silent. "Nick."

"I thought you wanted me to shut up. ."

"Don't test my patience."

"I just," Nick pauses ". . .As your friend I just wanted to check on you. Constance is worried, we are worried too and honestly, we think going in alone is a suicide mission."