•c h a p t e r 31•

***

***

Luca turns in to the small parking area behind the motel and jumps out of the car with ease even though he just halfway fell from a two story building only an hour before. He dusts himself off but it doesn't change that he still is covered in blood.

He signals for me to wait and I do. I'll wait for Luca as long as it takes- run in guns blazing and spying my way around the world for him because I don't care. I don't care that he hasn't talked to me since we left. I don't care that this is almost over. I kissed him before we left Handle's estates anyways because for all the things I don't care about, he is one of the few things I do.

Less than a minute later he's coming out of the hotel, hands full of bags that he puts in the trunk.

When he jumps in, Luca gives me a satisfied smile- the first I've ever seen on him. It lights up his whole face for a while as his eyes search mine. Something breaks his concentration as he puts the car in gear.

"You ready to finish this thing?" He asks and his face goes back to its normal look.

Am I ready for Luca to be free to live his life or am I ready to be free of Luca? I'm not sure I know the answer to that so I just give him a smile as a response.

Neither of us speak as he takes us to wherever. I've learned asking questions is just a waste of breath and energy so I sit back and enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts because soon this chapter of my life will be over and I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

***

"We're staying here?" I look at the old Victorian style house in amazement.

It's absolutely beautiful- much better than any place we've stayed before except for the bunker but this is above ground so that's a bonus. It's on a large piece of land in a country setting away from the city lights and prying eyes. Whoever owns the property obviously takes good care of it.

"For the night." He nods as he grabs a few bags. "Tomorrow we will see the twins. They are sorting through the information we got and once we find what's there, we'll make a plan."

"How long could that take?"

Luca walks past me to the porch and puts in a number passcode on the door's keypad. When it slides open, instead of walking in he looks at me with a pinched expression.

"A week without complications."

"And with complications?" I try not to look at him too much just in case I don't like his answer.

"A month. Maybe more." His words stun me and I'm unable to move despite him walking ahead, leaving me outside.

I want him to be free. That's what I keep saying to myself because that's more important- it means his life. He had a life before me and my accidental involvement in these issues and he will have one after me.