•c h a p t e r 35•

A/N: Double update because the last chapter was too much to leave you guys hanging like that!!______________

______________

"Don't do it, Luca. She is here and safe."

The past three hours I've been pacing the hallway making the nurses nervous but I couldn't care less about them. I run my hands through my hair trying to contain myself, failing miserably.

"Safe? Look at her!" I yell at Nate.

I know he's trying to help but nothing he or anyone says will fix any of this. There is no amount of apologies and pledged love to patch up what Don did to her.

"I am looking at her and you know what I see? Stregnth. Constance is alive. She survived this and-"

"-No! Don't you get it! She never should have been in this position in the first place. She had to live through this again and is my fault." I was a fool for thinking I could protect her, that her being with me would bring anything other than pain.

"Again?"

I ignore him and go to the nurses station. Like the last six times, they swear they will give me an update when there is one to give.

When Hans Müller brought her to us, I was less than understanding of her current health condition. She is just bones, bruised head to toe and in a medically induced coma so her body can heal. They took a rape kit which must have come back positive for whatever it is they look for because cops showed up and took the kit with them.

I punch the wall making it shake, earning dirty looks from the hospital staff.

"WHAT?" I snap at them.

Nick grabs my shoulder and before I can push him away, he pulls me into a hug. It's awkward and stiff but I needed it. He pats me on the back gently before releasing me. His usual playful attitude is long gone. I thought Nate would have been the one trying to comfort me but he's standoffish and Nick stepped up.

"It's my fault." I fall to the floor.

"No. This is all Handle. You never would have hurt her, Luca." Nick sits next to me.

He's wrong though. I had hurt her, maybe not physically but still. I pushed her away, made her feel like she was just another escort because I am afraid. She holds me in the palm of her hand. Every fiber of my being is drawn to her but to give myself to anyone scares me.

"I killed them all, even tore that wearhouse apart looking for her."

"I know."

"She wasn't there. I don't-"

"It was out of your control. You couldn't have known where they took her."

Scissors had a life before me. She had a job, a weirdo friend and her own home. I destroyed everything for her. She had healed from her past and I managed to ruin that too. I knew I was going to be toxic to her but at that time I was selfish and didn't care but now I have to break my own heart to save the woman it belongs to.